Booting Drive Genius 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tomasz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Tomasz macrumors regular

Have people had difficulty booting Drive Genius on the macbook pro (early 2008)? I tried starting the computer while holding 'c' but it doesn't boot properly on to the disk.

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Which version did you burn to disc? I was making the mistake of using the much smaller install DMG instead of the large ISO. I got this app as part of a larger bundle and the provided install DMG will not boot. You have to purchase the bootable (much larger) DMG / ISO for another $5.

I think it's pretty silly to charge for this for customers that have already paid for the product or received it as part of a bundle, but that's another discussion.

I have a feeling you're making the same mistake I did.

Regards,

Wayne

3. Tomasz thread starter macrumors regular

I think you figured it out. I was also using the dmg file from the bundle. But in the instructions it said you can make a bootable disk by burning an iso of the dmg file.

4. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I know... the instructions are confusing. I wasted several CD's burning in Toast and Disc Utility before I figured it out. The bootable ISO is 611MB where the install DMG is only around 30MB.

Good luck -

Wayne

5. Tomasz thread starter macrumors regular

I contacted the company, and I downloaded the full ISO. It worked like a charm.

For others that bought the software online, and don't have the full ISO, be sure to get it otherwise you will spend a lot of time booting without any possibility of it working.

6. Tomasz thread starter macrumors regular

Just so people know, the defragmenting worked but there wasn't much improvement. Programs open faster, but once in the program there is no big advantage. I did like using 'DriveSlim' though. If you got a big performance boost, please let me know.

7. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

My results were about the same as yours. I was't expecting a big difference though. The file system on OS X does a pretty good job on it's own and defragment really only helps on large files and if you're moving them around quite a bit.

Regards,

Wayne