Booting from an external Hard drive might nort work? WHY?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redsquash, May 16, 2008.

1. redsquash macrumors member

If a dvd burner works in Vista and OSX does this mean it can boot a Mac OSX using firewire.
    The shop I enquired at, said that it probably would boot,but they wouldn't accept a return of the product if the dvd burner didn't boot the MAC OSX 10.5.
    In my country the company wont confirm that it will or wont work.
    I find that odd.

2. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I am trying to understand your question. Are you asking if you are able to install and boot from an external DVD drive w/ FireWire? If so, it should work fine since the Macbook Airs don't have an internal drive, they have to use an external. I can't imagine not being able to do a reinstall on a MBA.

If that wasn't your question, please clarify.

3. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I am referring to a powerbook g4 17 inch 1.67Ghz.
    I am not referring to a MAcAIR.

If the product is stamped supports Vista and Leopard then of course I assume a firewire boot from a dvd burner would work.
    Why then am I not getting confirmation of this from the shop. Buffulo and LAcie in JAPAN wont confirm that this will work 100% of the time with all machines.
    So do I ignore the Manufacturer , spend $170 , then accept disappointment that I cant boot?

4. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

yes, you should be able to boot from an external burner on any Mac i would think. I knew you weren't talking about a MBA, I was just using that as an example. I was saying that since the MBA doesnt have an internal drive, it is forced to boot from an external when you reload Leopard so I don't see any reason why another Mac wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't count on anyone to confirm that for sure because they may not be sure and don't want to accept liability.

5. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

you are probably not getting confirmation from them because you asked them about an external hard drive...

6. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

Your logic sounds fine, so why wont the manufacturer confirm their external optical drive will or will not boot my mac.
    If anything they should be saying .............yeah sure no worries, though there is a slight possibility it may not work an we will refund your money.. ..... but in fact they are strongly hinting stay away
    So my point now is , what might prevent a PowerbookG4 1.667 ghz from booting, if the optical drive is Leopard Compatible?
    No manufacturer has actually said I can or cannot boot for those that are leopard compatible.
    I have an internal optical drive which is bootable but as I am buying another drive I may as well get one that wil do both Vista and leopard , should my main drive fail in the future.

7. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

Whats your point?
    If I shouldn't ask the manufacturer then who should I ask:eek:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That doesn't make any sense.

No need to get confrontational.

Give up the brand and model of the drive and we can help. I just want to point out it should work, but I don't make guarantees.

9. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

Logitec LDR-MA20FU2/wm is one model.
    Buffalo DVSM XL1218U2/M is another model , which may or may not boot from the shop or manufacturer
    If I boot from an external optical disc into a powerbook G4 1.67ghz, must this be by firwire?
    I have a feeling that USB is not acceptable

10. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Why not get a Lacie external firewire DVD drive. I have 2 and they can both boot my Powermac G5 and PowerBook G4.

Oh...and they can also be used to burn DVD's/CD's

11. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

The topic was about an external hard drive though I have been referring to an dvd burner through out. ie an optical drive
    The subject heading is incorrect but I don't know how to cahnge it. sorry if this has confused some

12. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

Great , but,

Apple would NOT confirm I could boot from LAcie though they sell them.
    What model number do you have, or is it all models you are referring to ?

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have used a number of different external FireWire DVD-ROM drives to boot Macs, desktops, PowerBooks and MBPs, both in 10.4 and 10.5. Since there are only 3-4 optical drive manufacturers to begin with, the likelihood that it will work is pretty high...

MacDann

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the MBA Superdrive would work, even for $200, I'd say it was a good deal.

As with the drives you're looking at, Apple sells them apparently, so can you try and call the Apple Online store to find out?

15. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

The first thing I did when I got home was call APPLE , but they said LAcie are unsupported for booting into a powerbook.
    Some posts above are encourging as they have booted.
    The MBA superdrive only works with MBA , as it draws too much power from the other notebooks. It wont work with other notebooks

16. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have a LaCie d2 DVD±RW Desktop (without Lightscribe - as it was not available then). I just tested it out for you and booted an OS X Leopard Install DVD with this drive connected to a PowerBook G4. Worked fine as you can see. Excuse the hideous bed cover!

The other is a Mobile DVD+RW (this particular model is no longer for sale and has been superseded).

Attached Files:

17. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

OK .
    Problem solved.
    I will buy LaCie d2 DVD±RW .
    If it doesn't work , then that's my problem.
    Thanks for your effort chas001.
    its still baffling why the manufacturer would not want to tell me this.

18. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

An email from LAcie, which might be useful information to others.Logitec were ,more blunt.
    My take now is that if you have an up to date MAC then your chances of not running an optical driver are low.
    Anyone tried booting form LOGITEC optical drives

Thank you for contacting LaCie. We have a product that is close to what you require but not exactly. None of our drives are supported to boot any operating system off them, PC or Mac. Our DVD drives might be able to, but we can not guarantee it and there by do not support it. So, if you need a DVD drive that can be guaranteed to do that, then unfortunately we do not sell the drive you need.

We do have a DVD drive, though, with USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 which is compatible with both Windows (Vista included) and Mac operating systems. A link to that drive can be found at: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11005. Through us directly it costs $129.99, but it is out of stock and is estimated to ship in two weeks.

If you have any questions let me know.

Best regards,

Ryan Smith

Direct Sales Representative

rsmith@lacie.com

phone: 503.844.4698

fax: 503.844.4508

22985 NW Evergreen Pkwy.

Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA

www.lacie.com

19. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I am very interested to kmow what the burn speed is rated at, for a dvd , and the actual speed you burn at.
    How long does it take to burn a dvd

I am guessung you have a 16X.
    My powerbook has a 8x rated burner for dvd , but it only ever burnt at 2 times 2x............thus my query