Booting from another Mac via target disk

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SCIENTIST29, Jan 22, 2013.

1. SCIENTIST29 macrumors member

Hi,
    just wondering if its possible to boot mac OS of a different mac via target disc mode? i.e two computers connected with a firewire cable, one in td mode and the other booting the first one's system. Thanks

2. archtopshop macrumors regular

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, so long as the source OS is equal too or greater than the requirement OS for the machine doing the booting. Example: You cannot use a G3 iMac's installation of 10.2.8 to startup a G5 via Target Disk Mode.

4. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

So having problems booting on one of my computers- I was suspecting it to be a HD issue, but it wont start up from the system of the other(which is the same model), so I'm guessing it's not the harddrive afterall?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Probably not. What machines are they and what operating system?

6. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

Powebook G4s, on the faulty one i had tiger, but asfter an unsuccesful atempt to install leopard I can't even get tiger running again. both systems are installed on seperate partitions on the other powerbook.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do both of the partitions on the source machine show on the boot machine? Try booting into Leopard. All G4 Powerbooks can run Leopard without a problem.

8. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but I've tried booting from both and neither work. I did get tiger running via tdm a few times, but then finder crashed...

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sounds like the FireWire port or the logicboard on the boot machine is failing. Do you have any other means of booting that machine such as a USB drive or an optical disc?

10. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

The original install disc crashes right at the welcome screen. Then I tried a tiger install disc and i can get as far as the choose destination window but my hd doesn't appear at all and when i click on disc utility it also crashes, also i can open system profiler and it shows me info about everything, but when i click on ATA and optical drives it shows nothing and also chrashes! (might not crash on optical drives..can't remember)

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That could be the hard drive or logicboard. I'd try removing the hard drive and booting it with it removed.

12. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

I will give it a try...By the way, hardware test, which runs fine from the original disc claims everything is OK....

13. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

So I got to replacing the harddrive at last and I am even more confused! With the HD removed completely I can boot via my other PB using target disc mode. However when I tried exchanging the harddrives completely (the one from the functional pb into the nonfunctional) it didn't boot...What could possibly be wrong??? I read that it could be the harddrive cable, but that can't be the matter, as i tried the one from the functional pb...Any ideas??? I'm getting really desperate!

14. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

PLUS its possible to boot my other pb from the harddirve of the faulty one using target disc mode....What is going on???