Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Does anyone know how I can boot from a CD even though I have a bluetooth keyboard (please note: My bluetooth is a USB receiver made by Kenington so it seems just holding down the "C" key wont work.) Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

Fooze

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2016
This is slightly different question than the original post, but still related.

Is there any way to access the startup manager (holding the option key) with the Apple Wireless Keyboard (bluetooth)? I'm using Model A1314.

Does the newer rechargeable wireless keyboard allow accessing the startup manager?

I know I can boot into macOS and select a different drive from Startup Disk in System Preferences but I'd specifically like to be able to access the startup manager and other keyboard shortcuts while in the boot screen.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
This is slightly different question than the original post, but still related.

Is there any way to access the startup manager (holding the option key) with the Apple Wireless Keyboard (bluetooth)? I'm using Model A1314.

Does the newer rechargeable wireless keyboard allow accessing the startup manager?

I know I can boot into macOS and select a different drive from Startup Disk in System Preferences but I'd specifically like to be able to access the startup manager and other keyboard shortcuts while in the boot screen.
Take a look at this article.

Fooze

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2016
I spent 30 minutes searching this forum and google and coudn't find anything. That article was very informative.

"Therefore, for Bluetooth keyboards, be sure to press the desired key sequences after you hear the boot chimes and not before."

I just tried it and it works perfectly. As soon as I started to hear the chime, I hit the option key. About 10 seconds later the boot manager opened up.

I've been doing it wrong for all these years. I always had to dig out a usb keyboard anytime I needed to do something during startup. You are the man Startergo!

Last edited:
Reactions: startergo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.