Booting from dvd

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I'mAMac, May 24, 2010.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I'm trying to boot from a DVD other than the Windows install DVD but since Macs use EFI and have no BIOS there is no way to set the boot to dvd option (that i know of). Is there another way to set this?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Put disk in.

2. Hold OPTION key immediately after powering on or restart, until you see boot drive selection.

3. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yes that lets me choose from my windows or Mac partition but even if the disk is in there is no option for it.

4. Riverside macrumors member

Riverside

Optionally, it should show up in the Boot Camp control panel. At least that way, you don't have to sit there with your finger on the option key.

Look for the silver/gray Boot Camp icon (looks like a square sitting on one corner in the lower right corner of the task bar), and right click it. Click "Boot Camp Control Panel."

You should see any bootable drives in the panel. Select the one you want to use, and click restart. Done!

In Windows on Mac, Boot Camp controls which disk to boot, not Windows. ;)

5. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Ah ok that helped ty, i guess i just can't boot from this particular disk because it didn't show up :eek:

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you happen to burn the ISO file as a file not a disc?

i.e. if the disc mounts in Finder/Explorer is the only file on the disc your .ISO?

B

7. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yes the ISO is the only thing on the disc.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. Riverside macrumors member

Riverside

Ah! Yes. If it isn't burned as a disc image, no system can boot from it. Good call.

10. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Well when i look at the file type it does say Disc Image File. It is also around 3gb

And balamw I watched your youtube video and he did it on a mac while my first attempt was on windows. I think that might have been the problem

EDIT: Got it! Now have 64 bit windows 7. Seems to be working fine so far. Thanks everyone who helped :D

only problem i notice is that in windows it won't let me go all the way to native res just 1280x800. Oh crap just noticed it isnt recognizing the 330m gt card...only the vga adapter.

EDIT 2: Installed drivers and didn't change anything. Any way to make it recognize that there is indeed a 330M on board and not just the vga adapter?

11. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

OK this is really weird. It isn't recognizing the 330m at all but when I tried to install the drivers it came up in display adapters, the computer just wasn't using it. Now there is no indication that it even exists. What can I do after I've already installed the drivers :confused:

EDIT: Finally fiexed it. Downloaded new drivers using the Have Disk method