Booting from Optibay w/ original HD installed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'm going to receive my drive caddy for my SSD tomorrow, and was just wondering if I was going to run into any problems if I put it into my optical drive bay and booted into it from there (drive is formatted and has mavericks installed on it). The only thing different about my setup is that I want my current HDD, a 1TB WD scorpio blue, to stay in the same place it has been. I don't have a list of stuff I want to put on the SSD yet (my apps are already transferred over there), so would it be fine just booting from the SSD and accessing my current HDD (with Mavericks still installed on that), like an external disk?

Any tips on how to get rid of Mavericks on my HDD once I get the SSD installed too? Maybe someone could point me to a guide? :p First time I've tried an SSD and hoping everything goes pretty smoothly, I tried booting from it but somehow my computer maxed at SATA I on a SATA II connection. I'm hoping that's just a SMC issue right now...

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes works just fine. Just hold option while booting.
    You may want to relabel your drives from Macintosh HD to something like MacHDD so you actually know which one you are selecting. Otherwise you are booting blind and have to check later which is running as root.

To get rid of mavericks just format the drive.