Booting from SL Disk After Installing Lion to External HD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dembo, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Hi all,

I have trouble booting from my Snow Leopard disk after downloading and installing Lion to an external disk.

Here is what I did: Downloaded Lion and started the installer to install it to an external Firewire disk as a fresh install. Installation went smoothly and I can boot from the external disk.

However, if I try to boot from the internal (Snow Leopard) hard disk I end up running the Lion installer again. All the Snow Leopard data and user data is still around (I can see and access it easily when booting into Lion).

Holding down the Options key during boot won't show me the Snow Leopard disk.

Is there any way to get the partition to boot up again? I could of course recover from Time Machine but the initial plan was to not go that route.

2. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Problem solved: Had to chose the SL disk via System Preferences in Lion. It booted into SL and I can now use the Options key to chose the boot drive at startup.

3. RVM84 macrumors newbie

When I went back to Snow Leopard from Lion I couldn't get it to boot holding Command either - eventually solved it by holding 'c' to boot from disc.