Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

My Intel MacBook is in the shop, and I swapped out my hard drive before I sent it in and put it in a USB enclosure. I was able to boot my friend's MacBook Pro from the drive, but my G4 Mac Mini is not seeing it as an option (upon startup or otherwise). I can read files from it, but I really need to boot from the drive for some other things (cookies, passwords, and especially the ability to sync my iPod touch).Any ideas?

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Usb hard drives are not bootable on ppc macs, but sometimes you may be able to do some hacking to make it work...

But even if you DO make it so you can boot from a USB drive on your PPC machine, you can not boot up from a drive with an intel architecture. There are strings attached like how the drive is formatted, and the architecture of the system..so if the hard drive has snowleopard (which is intel-only) there is absolutely no way of booting to that drive from a ppc machine, unfortunately.

Hope this answers your questions..

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Sorry, this was at the top of the page on mobile MR and I didn't see that its old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.