Booting from USB-SATA HD adapter

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Carmageddon, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Carmageddon macrumors newbie

This is just a theory, I haven't spent the money yet so maybe you guys can tell me if this is possible:

I have a SATA internal hard-drive from a older HP Media Center Pentium 4 machine. It's a 500BG drive with XP and every driver for all the extra video-cards, wireless adapters, and what-ever other stuff was installed. The motherboard on that machine is junk so I am parting it out. I want to use this hard-drive to dual-boot my Macbook.

I was thinking of buying a USB-SATA adapter (with power-source) and use this old hard drive to boot Windowz XP on my Macbook.

First, is this possible? This is the first time messing around with dual boot (let alone buying a sata adapter).

Second, will all of the drivers/software and junk on this hard-drive make it nearly impossible for windows to function on my Mac?

Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows doesn't boot from USB/external drives without modification. See the MR Guide stickied to the top of the forum.

A better bet might be to use VMWare Converter or the equivalent for Parallels to convert it to a VM which you can use on your Mac.

B