Booting G4 PPC Mac Mini from Intel MacBook's hard drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pismodude2, Apr 28, 2009.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

My Intel MacBook is in the shop, and I swapped out my hard drive before I sent it in and put it in a USB enclosure. I was able to boot my friend's MacBook Pro from the drive, but my G4 Mac Mini is not seeing it as an option (upon startup or otherwise). I can read files from it, but I really need to boot from the drive for some other things (cookies, passwords, and especially the ability to sync my iPod touch). Any ideas?

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The system on the Intel is Intel only, it won't work on a PPC.

3. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

But all my Intel apps work fine on the PPC (I'm running FF3 off my hard drive right now), and I didn't delete the PPC support files, so it should work fine. The problem is that it doesn't even see it as an option, does anyone have a solution to that issue?

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The apps are going to work fine, they're universal binaries. The OS is installed machine-specific. It is not a bootable OS in the eyes of the G4, so it will not see it as a bootable partition. Bottom line, it will not work.

5. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

While I know there's a way, I'm not going to be pursuing it any longer. This discussion about running Intel apps solved one of my major problems (how to get Microsoft Office 2008 on my MacBook HD working), so thanks for that! Also, I was able to make iTunes load it's info from the USB HD, so that also helped a lot. This will work temporarily I suppose... sniff. I miss my MacBook. :/