Booting into another OS from CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by olliea95, Feb 13, 2009.

1. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

I am having trouble booting into an Ubuntu CD. Sorry about posting it here, but I thought that a Mac community would better suit it.

When I first got this machine (was second hand) it came preloaded with OS 9. Immediately I wiped the HD and install a copy of Ubuntu 8.04. The CD was put away and not touched since today.

Since then I have install OS X (best OS ever!) and recently I got my hands on a new HD, so I decided to install Ubuntu on it. My only problem is that it won't boot up from the CD. Again, as I said before, this CD has not been touched since I booted up and installed from it, so long ago. The only possible difference in my computer is the new HD. As soon as I hold down 'C', it shows a white screen and that is it. I have also tried holding option and selecting the CD, but as soon as I hit the arrow, it just displays the same screen again...

I will also say that I have no trouble in booting from the Mac OS X install DVD.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Edit: It was the Live CD that I used last time, but I also have both the live and alternate install disks of the same version

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried burning a second disk? CDs can deteriorate over time.

3. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

Yeah I have. Just burnt a new copy of it, and this time when I boot, it comes up with:
    DEFAULT CATCH!, code=fffffff6 at %SRR0

I have no idea what that means, I have tried asking in some linux IRC chats, but nobody there knows either.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Weird. Uh, does this help? If not, I've got nothing.

5. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

SRR0 is the Save Restore Register 0 on PowerPCs. Is that a PowerPC mac that you have?

Probably no help at all, but I get a similar error when I try to boot the hardware test CD on my old Powerbook 12. It used to work fine several years ago.

What I know from my old days as a PowerPC developer, is that when we have a processor exception, the Machine State Register (MSR) gets copied to SRR0. So you could use the error code to find out what went wrong. You'll never be able to fix it without the source code and a lot of low-level debugging, though.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think so, given that it had OS 9 installed. ;)

7. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

Yeah it is a PowerPC Mac that I have, thanks for the link BlueRevolution but no help. Don't worry about it though, doesn't particulally matter.

Except, if anyone knows a Linux distro that works fine with my machine specs (in sig), then please post here.