Booting into Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deviance, Apr 1, 2013.

1. deviance macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I have a mid-2009 macbook pro. I upgraded a while ago so that I had a 60gb SSD and 500gb Optibay. Everything was working fine for over a year ...

Last week I bought a 250gb Samsung 840 SSD and 1TB samsung to upgrade the machine, everything worked fine thanks to Carbon Copy Cloner.

I was running 10.7 and decided to update to 10.8 once everything was all upgraded, so I downloaded a copy via the App Store, and now the machine boots into a white kernel panic screen 9 times out of 10.

Not sure what the issue is - but it must be software based?

I have my old SSD in a caddy - what's the easiest way to "downgrade to 10.7" - will I be able to migrate my data onto a newly installed 10.7 drive over USB?

Carbon Copy Cloner wont work in this instance as I've got 10.8 on my OS drive and that's what I'm trying to avoid using ...

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Just because the kernel is crashing, that doesn't always point to it being caused by a software issue. It could be, but it could also be caused by hardware.

Without more data from the kernel crash dump, your options will be limited to something like this:

Put the 60GB SSD and 500GB HDD back in and use CCC again to migrate the 60GB to the Samsumg 840 SSD.

Keep the 60GB and 500GB in and upgrade to Mtn Lion. If the kernel crashes again on boot 9 times out of 10, then you know that it's not the new hardware that you purchased, and you have your "golden" image on the Samsung 840.

If it doesn't crash again, then you know it has something to do with either the Samsung 840 SSD, or the 1TB HDD. Put just the 840 SSD in and upgrade it to Mtn Lion. If it doesn't crash, put the 1TB HDD back in. If it does crash again at this point, then you have your cause.