Booting Issue with Multiple Windows Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ferrari904, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Ferrari904 macrumors regular

I have Windows Xp and Windows 7 on two different hard drives in my Mac Pro. Windows 7 had been working fine, but I needed XP to run some older programs that 7 couldn't do. I have been working in XP some time now but when I try to boot from the Windows 7 drive it just reverts to the XP one. Even when I click on the Windows 7 drive to make it the start up drive it still goes to XP. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What is the issue here? Thanks for any help.;)

2. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Would download and install rEFIt. Its a boot loader for Macs. Most tri-boot installs use it to get around the issues you are running into.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yep, refit is the way to go. It's a great tool for tri-boot setups

4. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

rEFIt is simply fantastic. Go take a look at it.

5. Ferrari904 thread starter macrumors regular

Mmmmm.... not quite

Okay so I installed rEFIt and that part worked just fine. However, when I get to the boot menu both my Windows partitions show up but they both show up as "Partition 3". It doesn't matter which one I pick, both boot into XP. I'm not sure what this means? Has my computer confused itself into thinking that both Partitions are the same when there really not. I'm a little baffled here. I think I need a little bit more help with this please! Its greatly appreciated.;)

6. Ferrari904 thread starter macrumors regular

Bump

PLEASE DOES ANYBODY KNOW!!!!! I don't want to loose Windows 7!!!!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It could be that your W7 HDD boot loader is set to boot XP by default. Can you remove the XP HDD temporarily?

B