Booting Leopard From USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Incnway5, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Incnway5 macrumors newbie

What I have done already is restore my USB Flash Drive with a .dmg of Leopard using Disk Utility. The next step consists of booting Tiger into Leopard by holding down the option key at start-up and selecting my flash drive. The USB flash drive comes up on my computer as a Leopard Install DVD but when I hold in the option key during start up, I do not have an option for my flash dirve to boot. Any help please?:confused:

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

How did you make the dmg? What computer are you using?

3. Incnway5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac. And I didn't make the DMG?

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you didn't make the .dmg, then you downloaded it. That's not cool. No help will be provided.

jW

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Putting a .dmg file of the leopard install disc on a flash drive won't allow the computer to boot to it.

7. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but here are two options:

1. Install leopard onto the jump drive using your leopard install dvd. This should result in a fully bootable OS.

or

2. You need to "burn" an existing leopard .dmg onto the jump drive. Actually, it's not a bad idea to have a rescue copy of your leopard dvd living on a jump drive because dvd drives do fail.

8. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

is the flash drive formatted to HFS/HFS+?

i've copied my Leopard DVD to a partition on my external hard drive, and it shows up in the boot menu and boots just fine.

9. powerbooks macrumors regular

I tried the USB flash drive boot of 10.5.6 according to the web site:

http://blog.bradbergeron.com/2006/11/howto-install-and-boot-os-x-on-a-flash-drive/

Of course with some modifications based on the comments. It kind of worked. However, the Finder did not launch once I booted from my USB drive. I couldn't see any mounting HD or booting drive on the upper right, and not able to get access of the file system. However, I was able to use some applications in the Dock, such as Preferences, etc.

I did the stripped down install in order to fit the 8GB drive (with the purpose of possible to "Boot Camp" it with another small XP partition in case it works!:) ), so I am pretty sure I might missed some files for the Finder to work. I only installed the essential and additional essential as well as Safari with Pacifist.

During Option rebooting, I could select the flash drive, and it went through the Start up process for the first time (over 5 min) to get to all the register stuff, and finally brought up the menu bar goodies, such as Clock, and Time Machine icons and the Dock at the bottom (with couple of question marks since I did not install Mail, etc.) However, the Finder desktop never showed up. I think I might forgot to install some component for Finder, but not sure which part I should add. Any suggestions?

PS. I do see this valuable for MBA. Since you don't have access to a Super Drive everywhere, a small UBB flash can help in terms of emergency repair (assume we can get it to work!).

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. powerbooks macrumors regular

But without a Super Drive, it's no way to boot an MBA externally in a non-wireless situation. Did you read my message in detail? :)

12. borcanm macrumors regular

Partition your flash drive with disk utility, and make sure to set the partition on the flash drive to GUID partition scheme. Then burn the leopard image using disk utility.

If still cant fix it, search google for "installing leopard from ipod"