Booting Leopard when its on a second volume - how to?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toddburch, Sep 30, 2008.

1. toddburch macrumors 6502a

I installed a new (second) harddrive and Leopard this afternoon on my Mac Pro. I still have Tiger 10.4.11 on my "MACINTOSH HD". I partitioned and labeled my new drive "Leopard" (the first partition). The install seemed to go fine to the Leopard volume (it took long, but it worked). Once installed, I did the Software Update thing, and lots more updates were done. It rebooted once or twice to Leopard during the process. I also installed the developer tools.

When it rebooted after the Software Update, Tiger came up. I went into System Preferences and picked the StartUp disk to be my Leopard volume. I clicked restart, and Tiger came up. I did this twice, and both times Tiger has come up.

How do I set my default boot volume?

2. sameon macrumors newbie

try holding the option/alt key when restarting the mac and choose the leopard partition.

3. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had tried that earlier, and it didn't work - I obviously didn't hold it down long enough.

This time, however, I held it until I got the prompt to boot from my MAC HD or Leopard. WOO-HOO! Forward progress. I double-clicked my Leopard volume, and it started the boot process.

HOWEVER, it took a very long time to boot, and when it did finally come up, it was Tiger again.

Something must be screwed up with that volume. How to test???

4. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's my Disk Utility log, FWIW.

Attached Files:

5. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, this is psycho. I just tried it again, holding the option key, clicking my Leopard volume, and then I continued to hold the option key, and Leopard booted this time. I'll continue to experiment and see what happens.

Baffled.