Booting Macbook Pro from Carbon Copy Cloned OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hirschab, Jun 4, 2012.

1. hirschab macrumors member

I am having trouble booting from an external hard drive, what I did was I created a clone of my OS using Carbon Copy Cloner, because my internal HD is experiencing corruption issues. I have a Macbook Pro with a broken screen AND a broken disk drive, so I'm using an external monitor to do everything.

Basically the problem is this - to boot from a different drive you need to restart the computer holding down OPTION and then select it *but* this screen does not display on the external monitor... (when you restart the computer and hold down option, it just displays a blank screen on the external) And pressing F7 does not bring it up. So is there any other way to boot from my other OS? What I am trying to do is boot from my cloned OS and then run disk utility on the original OS to repair it. Can anyone walk me through the hard drive selection process blind? As in , so I can do it without having to see it?
    Thanks

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Once you get that grey screen at boot while holding option, wait just a minute and then hit the right arrow and then enter, and see if it properly selects the external drive. If you're running Lion, actually, hit the right arrow twice.

jW