Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigabalm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
So it finally happened... the magsafe power cord failed to do its job (really I just wasn't being careful enough) and got snagged. End rsult, my MBP is now rendered fairly useless. It will turn on, but stays on the boot screen and then flashes the folder w/ "?" icon. Anyways, I'm over it, just want to get my data off it.

I currently don't have another mac around me to test if booting in FW target mode will work. So, I tried putting it in a external enclosure and plugging it into a pc. I installed macdrive... PC recognizes that something's plugged in, but doesn't recognize the drive itself. When I click the little USB controller icon in the task tray, it shows a "USB mass storage device" but in explorer, doesn't show up at all.

I'd appreciate any insight you guys have.

Thanks

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
If it's a desktop system you could just connect it internally to a SATA port. I'm not sure if MacDrive works with external drives.

Arie

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
The Netherlands
The enclosure is recognised since it is hardware, the content of the hard drive is not recognised because it is in a wrong format. It will be formatted as HFS which Microsoft Windows cannot read. You can use HFS Explorer for example on Microsoft Windows to read the contents of the hard drive. You can download it from here: http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html

tigabalm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Ok as-is if I plug my MBP drive (connected through external case) to another mac through USB, should it recognize it and be able to read it?

I stopped by an Apple store on the way home from work and tried plugging it into one of the machines on display, but it didnt recognize it at all. The drive spins, but just no response from the host machine....

Do you think booting in target mode from the comp will change this?

Tried the HFSexplorer, but not sure if I'm not using it right, but doesnt seem to be working either....

thanks again for the input guys

tigabalm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Okay so a bit of an update...

I got macdrive to recognize the HDD and the "good news" is that it recognizes all the information. Says 55GB of free space, which is exactly right.

Only problem is, when I go to explore the drive, the only folders with viewable contents is Applications, Library, System. The Users folder seems empty... but the used space is all there. Tried to use macdrive to repair the disk, but it stops on the first step saying "Cannot Verify Volume"

Any other ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.