booting off of an SD card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsjustmeee, Apr 19, 2010.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I've read that you can boot off of an SD card for a backup that has mac OS on it. I'm curious to know if it's faster than booting off of the hard drive. If it is, wouldn't work to just have the SD as your main boot drive?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The SD card runs off a USB 2.0 interface, so even if you buy the fastest SD cards, you're looking at maybe 15MB/s? I used a bunch of SD cards and they seem pretty slow compared to my internal HD in terms of sequential read and writes; however with the smallest files, they random performance is a bit better.

3. eklkrl macrumors newbie

eklkrl

It just burns me that Apple didn't provide a faster I/O interface on the 15"!

Something useful and versatile, like, I don't know, an ExpressCard slot or something like that.....

4. FearlessSpiff macrumors member

FW800 performs pretty good with external drives...

5. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

+1. Even firewire 400 (only 400 MBit/s max.) often performs better than USB 2.0 (480 MBit/s max.)

6. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

It works fine. but it takes a bit longer time to boot. i have a 30 mb/s sandisk SDHC extreme IV card and it boots in 39-41 sec. i only have it in case i get a disc fail so i can repair or extract data.