Booting OS X question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Morgfel, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Morgfel macrumors newbie

Ok...

So I am attempting to to create a windows vista bootcamp partition on my iMac OS X 10.7, I created the partition and started my computer with the disc and got the prompt to install windows but the partition i made was apparently not formatted to NTFS. So no problem I will just go back to my hardrive and reformat it except i am still booting from the disc and i can't get it to boot from the hardrive. I tried different commands at startup such 'x' 'd' and 'option' but none of these seem to work.

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you are attempting to install using Boot Camp it simply will not work. The only version of Windows that works with Boot Camp is Win 7, no if's, and's or but's about it. If you are using virtualization software such as Parallels or Fusion you should be able to in Vista without any problem. However simply follow the directions to install. DO NOT repeat DO NOT manually format your HD or you will simply screw it up.

3. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

While this is exactly what I have been told twice in the Apple store, I have read threads many times that folks are either installing, have installed, or just advertising that other versions of Windows can be done.

I do not have a problem with this, but my curiosity does make me wonder why. Is it a need for BIOS access by pre-W7 windows versions?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It's not BIOS issue because OS X and Mac's don't have a one, that is a PC thing.

You may have heard/read Vista will run on Snow Leopard and now Lion machines that are running virtualization software, if so that is correct and you can even install XP. Because I'm not a Windows guy any more (left that world behind years ago) I'm not into the why and hows of why earlier versions of Windows won't work. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will speak up.

Of course continue looking maybe you can find a hack but remember along with every hack there are major pitfalls so just ask yourself if you're willing to risk those on your new Mac.