Booting OSX not XP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AudiGuy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. AudiGuy macrumors regular

my computer boots up XP all the time. how do i boot up OSX instead of XP? i hate holding the option key everytime i turn on my comp.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Once in OS X go to system preference - startup disk and select your OS X drive.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

system preferences > startup disk

xUKHCx damn your quick

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I use the apple remote when starting up. Hold down the play button and you get the choice!!!

Edit. You may not have one if you have a PowerBook eh??

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here's something else you and the OP may or may not be interested in

6. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

heh quite nice. Shame they can't say BootLoader like Windows and Linux. :cool: Thanks.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm..

Can't you just press and hold OPTION during bootup/powerup or restart, for the Boot Menu?

8. steinlager macrumors regular

Yea but that takes effort to sit there and wait ;)

9. ag227 macrumors regular

hold option until you see the boot options.... then hold command when you click the one you want to make the default (in your case osx) and it should boot to that everytime. mine does anyway

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Huh? Dunno why you can just goto the System Prefs and set your preferred partition... no need to wait once it's done. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. steinlager macrumors regular

I was more referring to the guy who suggested that you should press the option key at start-up. :p

12. Azmordean macrumors 6502

The computer will reboot in what operating system it was last in by default. Thus, if you were in windows, and simply restart (or shut down and turn it back on later), it will go back into Windows. Likewise, if you are in OS X it will go back to OS X.

You have a few options to make it start in the other OS.

- If you are in Windows and want to restart in OS X, you can:

1) Right click the boot camp icon on the Windows taskbar notification area (next to the clock) and select "Restart in Mac OS X"

2) Open up the Boot Camp control panel (start -> Control Panel -> Boot Camp) and select OS X, then click "Restart."

3) Restart the computer normally, hold the Option key after you hear the startup bong sound, and select your OS X drive.

- If you are in OS X and want to restart in Windows, you can:

1) Go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select your windows drive then click Restart.

2) Restart the computer normally, hold the Option key after you hear the startup bong sound, and select your Windows drive.