Booting Over Appletalk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sawtoothdude, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

Hello, I recently was given a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet without a CD-ROM, We seem to be having trouble getting it to find the harddrive(it spins up then stops and repeats this).

The Tools I have available, Appletalk Cable, Powerbook 1400 with appletalk, PCMCIA to Compact flash adapter and a 32MB Compact Flash, My question is, is there anyway to get the Wallstreet to boot via Apple talk?

Thanks

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I know if you hold down "N" during the boot process most macs will try to boot via the network. Not sure if that will help you or not.

3. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

do you know how to set up something over the network it can boot from?

4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I have only ever done it with OSX Server using NetBoot. Not sure what you would use.

Lets back up though.

What version of Mac OS do you want to install?

Also, do you have another mac available ot you? If you do you can start the PowerBook up in Target Disc Mode (hold down T @ chime) and the laptop will act as an external FW drive. Plug that into your other mac, then boot that mac via the OS installation CD. At that point choose the powerbook hard drive as the target.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No Firewire on either of those machines...
    No USB either.
    Don't think you can boot from Compact Flash...
    What you really need are some OS9 Floppies.
    Or an external SCSI drive with a bootable system and the appropriate PB-SCSI adaptor cable would be ideal.