Booting problems after sierra

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolfaaron, Jan 25, 2017.

1. wolfaaron, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

wolfaaron macrumors regular

Last week I upgraded my MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 to OS X Sierra. It updated fine and I shut it down to go to bed. The next day it had horizontal red lines on the screen and it would load and then it would stay at a white screen.

I thought my hard drive was corrupted so I did the Option+Command+R to do the internet recovery. I completely deleted the hard drive using the Utility tool and reformatted it. Then I let it install overnight. The next day it was working. Since the recovery thing installed OSx Lion on it, I upgraded it to Sierra. Then I let it install its updates and downloaded and installed XCode and Google Chrome.

It worked for two days and now today I turned it on to compile some code on Xcode and the horizontal red lines came back on and it would not boot again, it stayed on a white screen after loading half way. I turned it off and let it sit for a minute and then tried to do the Internet recovery again but then the red stripes were gone so I hard shut down and turned it back on and it booted.

Does anyone know what could be causing it? I don't want to upgrade it yet because MacBooks are very expensive these days.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

When mine did that it was the GPU failing. Wouldn't boot at all eventually, had the logic board replaced under the (just-ended) repair program for that fault. Unfortunately I think you're looking at a new Mac sooner rather than later. Keep regular backups!

3. wolfaaron thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was worrying it could be since everything seems to be attached to the motherboard it looked like it could be an expensive fix. Luckily I only use my mac to browse the web when traveling and to compile code for iOS apps so I don't need to keep backups because there is nothing on the mac, it's all on my PC.

Anyway, where do you recommend getting a new one from? I got this Macbook pro 2011 for $1200 new back in December of 2011. And Just looking at the prices on the Apple store, I can't afford any from there. I could barely afford $1200 back in 2011.