Booting to CD from Bootcamp Drive Selection screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nial, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Nial macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro that's refusing to boot to OS X (just see the Apple logo and an infinite loading spinner). When booting, I hit ALT to bring up the drive selection screen (split between my Mac and Windows partition). If I press and hold C on this screen a CD option appears. However, when attempting to boot from the CD the mouse freezes and the system appears to lock-up.

I'm trying to boot the OS X Install Disk 1 to do a full system format and reinstall with no luck.

Can anyone help?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you tried just completely rebooting while holding the "C" key?
    (with the CD in the drive)
    You don't have to go through the "option" key

3. Nial thread starter macrumors newbie

Holding C just shows the standard grey screen. The CD spins up and then goes idle and nothing happens (I've left it idle for upwards of 10 minutes).

I'm at work at the moment and we only have iMac Install Discs available (which is what I'm using). I assume these are just standard OS X discs - or is there some reason they wouldn't boot up on a MBP?

I've managed to boot to single-user mode and have run fsck, which stated the drive was fine.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure the install disks are model-specific. I would not expect that you could install on a MacBook from an iMac install disk.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This. You can't use iMac install discs on a MacBook Pro. They are machine-specific.