Booting to external SSD drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by u26055, Jan 3, 2013.

1. u26055 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to boot to an external SSD drive connected via firewire with bootcamp in ML with a year old iMac?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. u26055 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to do, boot to Windows from an external drive.

I will check out that link, thanks!

4. simsaladimbamba

That link will not help with Windows though.

5. u26055 thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but I was thinking I could then put bootcamp on it & just have that disk with windows on and not my internal SSD in my iMac. Won't make much of a difference, but something to play with.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, it is possible to boot Windows on an external SSD with a thunderbolt interface, and possibly with a USB-3.0 interface. It is reported that Windows will detect a slower FireWire or USB-2.0 connection and refuse to run as it is deemed to be "too slow".

There are several threads here showing how and discussing this topic already.

I am running Windows 8 on a Seagate GoFlex interface to a SSD via thunderbolt on a new iMac.

7. u26055 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the GoFlex connector firewire, but not the Thunderbolt, I'll have to check that out. It's a fair amount more expensive, but I think it would utilize the external drive I have better. I have the previous generation iMac, so I wonder if that will cause problems? I know Googles my friend here.:)

Thanks for the reply!