Booting to external SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NitroZip, Jul 12, 2015.

1. NitroZip macrumors member

NitroZip

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Careful on the above package!

I checked the specs for the "OWC Express Silver" enclosure, and it doesn't say anything about "UASP support" (USB attached SCSI protocol) -- or perhaps I missed it. I wouldn't buy this until I had determined that it has UASP.

UASP is -important-, because without it, the enclosure will not allow the connection to run at the highest speeds available under USB3.

Here is another enclosure that DOES support UASP:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VKTJGW...UTF8&colid=R75PP4I2A0BE&coliid=I3DOKZ31SP7539

I'd suggest this one instead, and that you pick up a bare SSD of your choice.
    I've had good experiences with both Intel and Crucial drives...

3. NitroZip thread starter macrumors member

NitroZip

Thanks, what SSD would you suggest? Just looking for around a 256 to boot from.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was just going to post and suggest that very enclosure. I have one and many others here do also. Works great and good speeds. Plus it has UASP support.

The Samsung 850 EVO and the Crucial MX200 are about the best bang for the buck right now. Just get whichever you can find cheapest.

5. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

6. NitroZip thread starter macrumors member

NitroZip

7. Replevin macrumors newbie

PMFJI, I went ahead and bought the Inatek enclosure and a Crucial 250GB BX 100 SSD. I feel pretty comfortable with the process of formatting the SSD as well as getting OS X on it and having my Mac boot from it. Any gotchas I should be aware of when it comes time to "restore" my system from the Time Machine backup which is on another external HDD? This is the thread I'm using as my guide. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-ssd-upgrade-and-tm-restore-qs.1852052/#post-20784112 Thanks

8. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

No, it's all very straightforward. The only thing I have found (and still haven't figured out) is that sometimes you lose all your software registration information, i.e. all your purchased apps will likely forget that they are not trial versions, and you'll have to re-enter the registration codes all over again. If you have dozens of paid-for apps, as I have, then this is a real pain!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you follow the steps in my post #6 in that thread, you will be good to go. :)

That is not anything you are missing or doing wrong. What is happening is the software detects a new hardware UUID and forces you to reregister. MS Office and Adobe apps seem to always do this.