Booting up computer from windows hard drive??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SwitchingSoon, Oct 11, 2007.

1. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

Disclaimer: I am computer illiterate, so I don't know how stupid my question is.

---------------------------------------

So I'm in college right now sporting a mac pro. Over the summer, I worked at a company where I did various minor graphics/web design stuff. My employer asked me to do some side jobs while in college, and I agreed. The problem is that one of the programs I use is only available for Windows XP. I explained the dilemma to her, and she emailed the software company for solutions. Basically, buying windows XP and installing bootcamp came out as the cheapest option.

Upon hearing this, she is offering to ship the Dell computer I worked on to my dorm so that I can use said program. My dorm space is limited, and I simply don't have room for another tower/keyboard. In addition, I am perturbed by the idea of having to switch my monitor between systems.

So my question is this: is it possible to use bootcamp to boot up a completely different windows hard drive? Or are there all these compatibility issues with the type of hard drive used, plus its format? ...Meaning that buying windows xp is still the best option.

2. alm700 macrumors newbie

re to booting

i had a hp laptop with vista on the hard drive well the laptop fell and broke
    so i took the hard drive out and the ram i put the hard drive drive in a extural hard drive encloser hooked up to usb port on my mac i held c plus power let the power go and held the c key it asked what drive do you want to boot from a cd or dvd the hard dive with tiger on it or vista hard drive i booted from vista hard drive booted into vista like on a pc and no your question is not stuipid no question is stupid hope this helps :):apple: