Booting up from a computer in Target Disk Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joeloud, Jul 12, 2008.

1. joeloud macrumors newbie

I'm just curious if it's possible to put my mac pro into TDM, connect it to my MacBook Pro, start it up holding option to choose a start-up disk, and use the Mac Pro's HD to boot up. I'd experiment myself, but the Mac Pro is packed at the moment, and I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure that it will or will not work before digging it out.

2. Fabrice macrumors newbie

Heeeeelp !!!

I desperately need to do this myself.
    I'm experiencing the "Black screen of death" on my MacBook Pro.
    The computere still run fine, responds to keyboard, sleep, reboot and all, but its own screen as well as external display remains black.
    I'm currently creating a restore image, but I urgently need to access my mails, apps and all.
    Is there a way to boot another computer using the MacBook Pro HD in target disk mode ?

Thanks for reply,
    Please help.

Best regards,

Fabrice

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey all,

im not 100% sure, but i doubt this will work.

the installed OSX version on your Mac Pro will have completely different drivers and whatnot installed that arent prepared to recognise what is on your MBP. therefore i dont think it will work.

worth a try though!

4. H&Kie macrumors regular

Some time ago, I did install Mac OS X 10.4 from my old iMac G5 to an iMac G4 (with broken down optical drive) in target disk mode. No driver issues whatsoever.
    But I guess there could be trouble when installing/booting an Intel Mac to/from a PowerPC Mac

I second DoFoT9's "worth a try"

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey man, i was referring to (i think the OP was aswell) booting from the macpro's hard drive (which already has the OS installed). i spose that what you did is round a bout the same kinda thing... meh

ha

6. Fabrice macrumors newbie

I'm not doing anything but try.
    I can select the MacBook pro HD from the startup panel but it doesn't work, nor it shows up while holding the option key at boot...

Fabrice

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

must be because i was right :rolleyes: :D

8. Fabrice macrumors newbie

Not so sure... It's mainly the TDM thing imho.
    I'm restoring a blank external drive with the content of the MBP HD.
    I bet it will shows up as a startup drive option (will it boot or not is another story...)

Fabrice

9. Fabrice macrumors newbie

BTW, can somebody clearly answer this question :
    Is booting from a computer in TDM works at all?
    Can TDM computers be used as boot volume or is this feature only intended to browse volumes?

Regards

Fabrice

10. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

i've done it....

I've done it, but only with Intel to Intel or PPC to PPC. I have not booted a laptop with a desktop though. I can confirm that booting from TDM will work if OS is compatible.

Mike

11. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I think if you boot into the OS w/ a TDM machine attached you can select it as your startup drive in the system prefs, though I might be mistaken. I think I remember doing it at some point along the way.

Good Luck.

12. tbonium87 macrumors newbie

No problem.

Booting a computer from another computer that is in TDM works. This is one way to doctor a computer. Also, booting a computer from another computer with different drivers and what not also works just fine. As long as it is a Mac operating system running on a mac, there should be no issue (I cannot say that I've tried this with other auxilary equipment i.e. bluetooth).

for example: I recently doctored some old emacs by booting them off of a leopard disk. eMacs cannot run Leopard but I wanted them to, so I restored the emacs' hard drives with a MacBook Pro that was running Leopard through the disk utility. This can only be done when booting off a third part (the OSX Leopard disk).

This example proves that you can do just about ANYTHING with TDM.