Booting XP in Safe Mode No Mouse...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Consciousness, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Consciousness macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, i hope someone has skills, cause i screwed up.

For reasons i will not bore you with i rebooted my boot camped mac in Windows XP Safe Mode by changing the settings while in XP to have it resart in safe mode, minimal. It gave me the option of selecting 'network capable' and i think that's where i screwed up, because when i rebooted i had no mouse or keyboard to select the administator or other user login buttons.

So now i am in the situation that because i modified the boot.ini while in xp, instead of simply turning the computer off while it was trying to start xp, and then turning it on again to be given the temporary option of safe mode, the boot.ini file is modified until changed manually.

Here is a copy of my boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

As you can see the end of the last line say's 'safeboot:minimal', now the issue is from inside os x i need to modify the boot.ini to either 'safeboot:network' which could possibly give me back the use of my mouse, which is probably driven by the bluetooth, or i guess remove the safemode entry altogether? Only problem is when i open the boot.ini file residing on the Windows XP NTFS partitioned part of my drive, with mac text editor, i can change it, but not save it.

So anyone have any idea's on how to get around this?

Thanks in advance

MacBook White 2ghz
    Boot Camp 2.1
    Windows XP SP3
    Partitioned NTFS

2. hunterjoules macrumors member

3. Consciousness thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Consciousness thread starter macrumors newbie