iPad mini Bootleggers at Apple Store in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'iPad' started by digitalhen, Nov 1, 2012.

1. digitalhen macrumors regular

These guys drive me crazy. I was unable to get a reservation for the iPad Mini launch today (it's basically a lottery system for new iPads and iPhones in Hong Kong), but somehow these folks were able to get > 50 iPad Minis that were clearly being packed up for a trip over the border to China.

I wish Apple would restrict sales in Hong Kong to HK ID holders only.

[​IMG]

/rant

2. hyteckit Guest

If those are legit iPad minis, they aren't 'bootleggers'.

They are scalpers.

3. digitalhen thread starter macrumors regular

I have to believe they're the real deal, since they're sitting right outside the Apple Store, but they'll be bootleg as they will sell them in China without tax etc.

4. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

5. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How would that help? They'd simply pay people with HK IDs to buy the products for them.

7. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

will be no such policy, For Mr. Cook, as long as it sells.

8. smacman macrumors 6502

Maddening isn't it! Another reason why I am considering Apple alternatives lately. I'm tired of fighting to buy their products. The entire experience of buying an Apple product in Hong Kong pi$$es me off royally.

9. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

true, I'd like to think that Steve Jobs never would have liked the sight of this.

10. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

11. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

lol sooo communist.

12. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

The lucky draw system was put in after the launch of the 4s caused riots in China. The problem is that the scalpers have figured out how to game the new system. They buy ID numbers from HK residents with a "promise" to never do anything bad with them for around $70 USD. There's also referral pyramid schemes so people can get bonuses for becoming ID bundlers. They then feed all of that into a custom software program which hits the registration system every day with tens of thousands of reservations in a matter of minutes.

13. twonga macrumors member

But if they get drawn how do they produce the ID required when buying at the store? You need to show your HKID and it must match

14. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

If I could buy the entire "Louise Vuitton" luggage range in HK for not a lot, I doubt ID would be much more difficult.

15. Borzy macrumors newbie

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

My question too.

Whatever the case, it's incredibly annoying. They could easily come up with an algorithm that filters out obvious characteristics of scalpers. Or at least limit two per HKID for the first month or two.

17. twonga macrumors member

I personally think 1 per hkid is enough! Pi$$es me off no end too having to fight for apple products in hk!!I ended up paying an extra 213hkd ( 14usd?)for one in wan chai which wasn't too bad!

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That's not bad at all. Less than sales tax if you bought in the US. Where in Wanchai? Wanchai Computer Center?

19. Spungoflex macrumors regular

20. hakkamukka macrumors newbie

It is a random draw with a maximum of 2 per customer.

All the scalpers have to do is camp in front of the store while people pick up their items. Offer HKD$1000 over the RRP as said customer walks out and the deal is done; cash and item(s) exchanged.

There is nothing Apple can do about this. It is still a legitimate sale. The matter is now whether Chinese customs catch the buggers or not.

21. twonga macrumors member

it was actually a apple premium reseller, I've not got the receipt with me right now but it was on johnson road towards causeway bay, can't really miss it but all it sells is apple products..

i called around all the other premium sellers and they all sold for the same price as apple, but unfortunately all sold out quite early

22. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

OK, I know which one you're talking about. Been there a bunch of times. Glad one of the resellers in Hong Kong has some sort of conscience. All of the Broadways and Fortunes are selling for at least 3180. One of the Fortunes was selling for 3800. Give me a break.

23. ReValveiT macrumors regular

Still not bootleg. A bootleg is a copy. These will be grey imports.

24. 725032 Guest

They were in front of you... Why are you complaining

If you really wanted one that badly you should have got their earlier