bootneuter for dummies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchman, May 14, 2008.

1. touchman macrumors member

Hey all, could someone explain to me what the boot loader is? and what is the base band?, i know these get changed when unlocking/jailbreaking, and does anyone know what version boot loader is for each firmware version.

Thanks

2. pxlogs macrumors newbie

I found this a while ago on google.

Bootneuter Review
    It tells you what this Bootneuter does.

iPhone Glossary
    This link contains tons of iPhone related terms, that not all of us might know. :) I copy pasted the ones you asked for below.

Baseband
    The baseband is actually the controller of all actual phone functions in the iPhone. It act as a middle man between the iPhone software and the hardware.
    It’s responsible for all voice or data traffic onto the phone (cell)network.
    The baseband is also the one that locks your new phone to the Apple carrier like AT&T.
    When you unlock your iPhone the baseband is modified to allow communication to other wireless carriers.
    The latest baseband in use is 04.04.05_G and it works with the 1.1.4 firmware.

Bootloader
    The bootloader is actually a piece of hardware that loads the software to operate the iPhone.
    There are 2 known bootloaders on the iPhone.
    1) The Baseband bootloader (see above)
    2) The ARM Core bootloader (loads the operating system MACOS)
    The iPhone has 2 different Baseband Bootloaders (3.9 and 4.6) known (eg March 08).
    The 3.9BL allowed us to load a hacked baseband which matches the firmware version.
    Apple updated it to 4.6 BL and made it require a baseband of a newer firmware version.
    The Dev Team released a 3.9 fakeblank BL which allows to load our hacked baseband matching any firmware.

Hope this helps you :)