Bootneuter on 2G 3.1.2 Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SpaceKitty, Dec 13, 2009.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have never been able to unlock my 2G under 3.1.2 using bootneuter because it tells me that my settings already match and I can't press the flash button.

I then try to use my GoPhone sim in the 2G and of course it's not unlocked so I just get the connect to itunes screen.

Is there some other way to unlock the 2G without using pwnage?

The reason why I I don't want to use pwange is so that push notifications won't work. I can restore it on 3.1.2 using my real iPhone sim and then push notifications will work, but then of course my GoPhone sim won't work in the phone.

I just want to unlock it under 3.1.2. There has to be a way to get bootneuter to work but it doesn't seem to on my 2G.

2. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

FIXED!

In case anyones wondering how I unlocked my 2G on 3.1.2 without using bootneuter:

I used diskaid and went to root>private>var>root>library and deleted the lockdown folder. Rebooted and now using my GoPhone sim with data enabled on 3.1.2.

3. tacklebox378 macrumors newbie

hi

I have ifile on my device. I have found the lockdown file. I jb my 2g with blackra1n rc3. If I delete lockdown file will it allow me to use gophone sim too you think?

4. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes,just delete the whole lockdown folder. The iPhone will automatically recreate the folder and it will let you usd a Gophone sim it.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm sorry...I don't think deleting the lockdown folder alone will unlock your phone. Perhaps you needed to do that in addition to using BootNeuter, but if it were that simple BootNeuter would never have been created...

6. tacklebox378 macrumors newbie

Well I looked up bootneuter in cydia and it said it is for fw 2.0. I have 3.1.2. I don't understand how it would work for me

7. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It worked for me because I could not get bootneuter to work on my 2G like allot of other people so they found out that deleting the lockdown folder worked. I was able to use bootneuter when I first got the 2G and so it won't run again. Everytime I restore now I have to delete the lockdown folder to use my Gophone sim.

8. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It works on 3.1.2 because the baseband hasn't been upgraded since about 2.0 or so. This is why it doesn't matter what firmware version you have. If you have ever used bootneuter in the pas on a 2G, you don't need to run it again. This is why I was simply able to delete the lockdown folder.

9. tacklebox378 macrumors newbie

I'm having problem using bootneuter. I neutered and unlocked, and now its has message "determining current settings..." for about half an hour. What do I do? Please help if you can.

10. tacklebox378 macrumors newbie

Nevermind! It's working now! I just forgot to reboot. Thank you for all your help! Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! Muah!!!!!!!!

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your phone was already neutered and unlocked if you've previously unlocked with BootNeuter; the 2G's unlock is not affected by firmware upgrades. Deleting the lockdown folder by itself will not unlock a 2G phone which has not previously been neutered. It way work for some people whose previously-unlocked 2Gs fail to work after an upgrade, but it is not a substitute for BootNeuter for un-neutered phones. You shouldn't tout it as such.

12. tacklebox378 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry. I forgot to say that I downloaded and tried bootneuter and it didn't work. Then I deleted the lockdown file and it started working. That's what I am thankful for. I never would have thought about lockdown file on my own. Now my daughter will get what she wanted this year from Santa. =-). Thanks. :eek:

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

On the contrary, BootNeuter did work. If it hadn't, your phone would still be locked even after deleting the lockdown folder.

14. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You obviously didn't read the rest of what I said after that. I posted that quickly at work and didn't read all the persons post that I was replying to, I corrected it when I got home after I re-read the persons post again.

Yes, I am aware that the phone was unlocked but after upgrading to 3.1.2, of course it wouldn't accept my GoPhone sim until I deleted the lockdown folder.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

All I am saying is that you should make that clear. I did read all your posts, by the way, whatever may be "obvious" to you.

16. raftr macrumors regular

I am bumping this old thread, having come across a similar problem.

I have been trying to unlock a 2G iPhone and seem to be unable to.

It was on 2.2.1, factory locked.

I updated it to 3.0, 3.1.2, 3.1.3 patched with Pwnage Tool - still locked.
    I updated it to each version normally and patched with redsn0w - still locked.
    I installed Bootneuter manually and went to 3.9 and back to 4.6 - still locked.

The strangest thing, in each case Bootneuter says it is both neutered and unlocked.

I removed lockdown folder - nothing.

Reset network settings - nothing.

Isn't there a way to unlock this unit?

17. raftr macrumors regular

Now this is getting strange… I got the original carrier to officially unlock the phone, iTunes says with a congratulatory message that it is unlocked… Yet still when I pop my sim in the phone it says my network is "restricted".
    Is this handset a lemon?

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would guess that is is some sort of restriction on the SIM card itself, allowing it to be used only with certain handsets. Have you tried contacting the company that provided the SIM? They might be able to shed some light on it.

19. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You aren't trying to use a Net10 SIM card are you?

--------------
    The first generation iPhone needs hacktivation. It's not like the 3G/3GS or 4 where having a qualifying SIM will activate it whether the SIM is active or not. PwnageTool would easily take care of this along with unlocking it.

I was replying to this first post. Didn't realize this was an old thread.
    --------------

20. raftr macrumors regular

Most certainly not, I've had this card for 5 years, 3 of which I used it with an identical first-gen iPhone. It also works in my gf's first-gen iPhone.

After my old iPhone died, I got this one, also first-gen from a friend but cannot seem to unlock it.

I tried it with 3.0, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, pwnage tool, redsnow – you name it. Changed bootloader to 3.9 then 4.6 a few times – nothing. All the time Bootneuter says it is unlocked, while it is not.

Finally, I got the original owner to call his carrier and unlock the phone. iTunes now says the phone is unlocked, but the phone says my carrier is restricted.

I guess, something is wrong with the phone.