Bootup delay. 42sec before Apple logo?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by craig1410, Aug 17, 2010.

1. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

I've just been doing some housekeeping on my iMac (August 2007 2.4GHz Alum), clearing out old apps and getting rid of unwanted login items etc. I was expecting bootup time to be better but I am getting a 42 sec delay between pressing the power button and seeing the Apple logo. I just get a white screen and no disk activity for the 42 secs. I don't remember seeing this before but I don't reboot that often to be honest... After the Apple logo appears the system then seems to boot up as normal and is at the login screen in a further 28 seconds.

What could be causing this? Could it be because I installed a new Seagate Barracuda internal hard drive? Surely it doesn't take 42 sec to spin up???

Is it worth doing a PRAM reset? Any other ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Craig.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your iMac is searching for a disk that isn't there. To fix this open the Startup Disk pref pane and select your boot drive. Then click restart.

3. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

100% full marks!! And a very fast response too!

When I cloned my internal disk to an external one before replacing the internal drive and cloning it back again, the system was set to boot from the external drive. After the 2nd cloning operation I just didn't connect up the external drive and it seemed to boot fine from the internal one. I didn't realise it would search for the external drive each time it rebooted!

Now that I've done what you suggested, it's booting up from power switch to login prompt in 28 seconds flat! Thanks! :D