Bootup times for iMac (after upgrade)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JonnyThunder, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JonnyThunder macrumors member

Good morning!

I decided finally to upgrade my iMac 24" (early 2008) at the weekend to include a shiny new SSD drive and an upgrade to 4Gb memory. The upgrade was fairly easy and straight-forward and the speed difference is utterly incredible.

When I boot from cold, it takes around 10 seconds from the spinning activity indicator until I get to the login prompt, however oddly it takes a further 10 - 15 seconds from the time I put in my login details until it gets to the desktop. This is on a fresh install of OS X Lion with no apps such as remote desktop or anything else installed.

I wondered if anyone else has done the same thing and the kind of bootup times / login times experienced under Lion. It's crazy that the thing gets to the login in 10 seconds, then longer to actually log in. This happens even if I leave the machine for a few minutes before I enter login details.

Any input would be brill. Thanks,
    JT

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sl to Lion

When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, I noticed a small increase in boot-up time. Was vitally instant in SL, now takes about 15 seconds to the desktop.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

This only happened to me the first time I restarted after that the boot times become the same as before or even a tad faster

4. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Lion

Lion has several instances where it just isn't as fast as Snow Leopard and booting is one of them.

5. phassat macrumors member

Mine is about 20 secs in total….
    Took some while from press the power to having apple logo on screen…
    then 1 sec on spinning wheel… the wheel only spin 1 time then very quick to desktop…
    Most time being used I believe is when you press the power waiting for the sound and apple logo to appear….

6. JonnyThunder thread starter macrumors member

So do any of you have a long delay AFTER the login has been entered? Im only 10 seconds to get to the login screen but 10 - 15 after that. I just wonder whats causing that delay because i'd have thought a lot would be loaded while sitting at the login prompt (obviously not because even if I leave it before logging in it takes ages).

Still happy overall however. Operating speed when logged in is incredibly fast in comparison to before.

7. joshh20 macrumors newbie

Mine is about the same speed, 20 seconds. I really dont think that it should be taking this long, but I doubt that you have a hardware issue. It might just be with some of the extra animations that play during login.

8. Stan Mikulenka, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    from clicking on 'Restart' - 20 sec
    from Apple logo - 10 sec
    (SL + SSD)
    just want to add: if I unplug the external HD then 6~7 sec (from logo).

9. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I think (but could be very wrong) that they've moved the login page to a much earlier part of the startup sequence, which means you can have the whole drive encrypted and nothing is readable until a valid username/password is present. That obviously would mean that everything has to load after typing in the password, rather than being able to pre-load while it waits for input.

How easy did you find the SSD upgrade? I also have a early 2008 iMac 24"

10. Besk one macrumors member

I have a 2011 27" i7 with 16GB RAM, a 240GB OWC Extreme 6G SSD + the stock apple 2TB HDD.

From a cold boot it takes 17 seconds to from pushing the power button to being logged in and at the desktop.

I'd imagine at least 5 - 7 seconds of that is the Power On Self Test checking the RAM.

Oh, ya, running Lion.

11. JonnyThunder thread starter macrumors member

Very easy indeed. There really isn't much to it. I posted a blog with some tips on my own blog site which you can read here. It's not an A to Z of getting the upgrade done - just stuff to watch out for while you do which can make it easier.

But if you're considering it.... stop considering and go for it. Worth every penny (a little over £300 for memory and 240gb disk).