Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Well happy to hear that yours works fine, I can't play it like this, every action has to stutter first and even after that there's lag. No biggie though since I have bootcamp ready for sins of a solar empire anyway..

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Works at highest settings on 1280x720 with my 6770M.. But I found the game to be rather boring..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OK i can confirm it does support the 360 controller as long as you have no previous drivers installed.

Performance isn't as good as in windows but the time it saves me having to boot up bootcamp specifically makes the hit in frame rate more bearable.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Latest Aspyr games seem to work "natively" on Macs without any drivers needed for the Xbox controller. Why can't others accomplish this? I can't enjoy it though since I have a wireless controller with a dongle :(

NostalgiaLane

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Ok, mixed reviews on how it runs on the rMBP. If someone could give me what settings they're on and the FPS they're getting that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I'm playing with default settings except pumped the resolution to 1440x900 (default was 800x600 ^^). The FPS is jumpy, it's around 15-20 on my 2010 iMac 27". I'm having a hard time with the mouse, it's either too sensitive or too low. Especially with the low FPS and extremely jumpy guns I'm feeling dizzy. The game seems like it's totally designed for gamepads, if you look at the menu and tab menu.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Game performance is fine on my 24" iMac. Since it's Steam, if you bought the Windows version then you get this version for "free". Well, not really free. You already bought it. That's Steam's policy... buy once for all platforms.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Runs great on a 2010 Mac Pro (5870, 2*2.93ghz hexacores). All settings maxed, 1920x1200- constant 40+ FPS, though this drops to ~20FPS in hard battle. Menus kind of lag though, not sure why- they're definitely not as smooth as on Windows. Still totally playable, just not very aesthetically pleasing (considering how well the rest of the game runs).

$45 is barely worth it though. I mean, the Mac port is extremely solid, but the game is still questionable. If you came out of Borderlands 1 saying "I could do this for another 30 hours and have fun", then Borderlands 2 is for you. If you came out of Borderlands 1 saying "Boy, I wish there was some real story here with more role playing elements and meaty gameplay mechanics", then you're in for a huge disappointment. You shoot stuff, and stuff dies/explodes/whatever. Repeat ad nauseam.

-SC

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Ok, mixed reviews on how it runs on the rMBP. If someone could give me what settings they're on and the FPS they're getting that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

On a rMBP too. Running at 1440x900 and I have put everything on medium. It still stutters and the FPS seem low overall. It's weird because sometimes it will seem pretty smooth, then suddenly it will pause (like firing a gun for the first time) or stutter. I even had freezing and jerking on the intro (which I knew was a bad omen). Even switching to your inventory, the GUI is very slow and laggy then suddenly acts normal, then goes back to being slow. This seems a joke of a port.

Waste of £15 sadly! :/ I wonder if there is anyway to get a refund from STEAM because this is a really poorly made port and I don't even have the option of selling it on. *le sigh*

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
On a rMBP too. Running at 1440x900 and I have put everything on medium. It still stutters and the FPS seem low overall. It's weird because sometimes it will seem pretty smooth, then suddenly it will pause (like firing a gun for the first time) or stutter. I even had freezing and jerking on the intro (which I knew was a bad omen). Even switching to your inventory, the GUI is very slow and laggy then suddenly acts normal, then goes back to being slow. This seems a joke of a port.

Waste of £15 sadly! :/ I wonder if there is anyway to get a refund from STEAM because this is a really poorly made port and I don't even have the option of selling it on. *le sigh*

Sounds like your laptop is flip flopping between the iGPU and the dGPU.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx

I was thinking the same thing. Adder, I'm sorry you are having issues. Make sure you are using your dedicated card (650m). I have the same setup at my desk and the game runs like glass. If you continue having issues, you should hit up support.aspyr.com and start a ticket. Once our team can look into your profile, they should be able to get you running smoothly.

scottdot

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
New Mexico
Multiplayer woes

I've been wanting to jump into some multiplayer action but every server I try to connect to says it's running an incompatible version. What a drag...I can remember these inconsistencies back in my Quakeworld days. Shouldn't we be beyond this by now? Or is the Mac gamer always going to have to suffer and lag behind a bit?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I've been wanting to jump into some multiplayer action but every server I try to connect to says it's running an incompatible version. What a drag...I can remember these inconsistencies back in my Quakeworld days. Shouldn't we be beyond this by now? Or is the Mac gamer always going to have to suffer and lag behind a bit?

If you are trying to connect with specific friends on the PC side, the versions are currently out of sync and wont allow you to connect. That said you should have no issues connecting to Mac folks.

We are working on getting caught up version wise and should be in-sync within a week or so, at which point PC-Mac multiplayer will be back up:)

Last edited:

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005

Sounds it but I don't think it is. I tried resetting the SMC, just to be sure. But the fact Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 work perfectly fine tells me things are ok.

I found setting everything on high gave me better performance :confused: yet I still experienced FPS drops when bringing up the inventory - which made trying to manage the loot a chore. The games main source of problems seem to be when things happen 'for the first time' you'll get a momentary pause or stutter and then it will continue and no more stuttering from that action (for a time).

Aspyr-Blair actually from Aspyr? Hi. Well to be honest I googled FPS issues and found that they were present on the PC too for some people. So it seems like it inherited those issues + the normal hit you get from PC > MAC.

I have the same setup at my desk and the game runs like glass.

What settings are you using? Also what version of OS X? I am on 10.8.2 which they pulled shortly after IIRC.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've finally had some time playing more Borderlands 2.
It seems the game need a bit warm-up. Where as the first time everything is done it have these micro lags, but after playing for a few minutes they are gone.

Performance is good. It's not 100% of win7, but at least 80% for me.
Loading is for some reason slower in OSX than in win7, even if I run from an Vertex 3 SSD in osx and from a 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda in win7, but I not game breaking slow.

The port itself seems stable, no crashes or hangs so far. The 20% performance tax is not an issue for people with desktop class cards, but laptops that have low power versions of cards this might be a compromise.

All in all, when co-op with PC is fixed and possibly optimizations down the road this is a port I can recommend for mac users.

After a few mixed quality ports from Aspyr and often long time between PC to mac conversion, this a port that really make me believe Aspyr is worth supporting again!

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I was thinking the same thing. Adder, I'm sorry you are having issues. Make sure you are using your dedicated card (650m). I have the same setup at my desk and the game runs like glass. If you continue having issues, you should hit up support.aspyr.com and start a ticket. Once our team can look into your profile, they should be able to get you running smoothly.

It wasn't me that is having issues, it's actually Rob. But anyway, it's nice of you to come around here if you're an actual Aspyr employee.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
It wasn't me that is having issues, it's actually Rob. But anyway, it's nice of you to come around here if you're an actual Aspyr employee.

Aspyr-Blair actually from Aspyr? Hi. Well to be honest I googled FPS issues and found that they were present on the PC too for some people. So it seems like it inherited those issues + the normal hit you get from PC > MAC.

What settings are you using? Also what version of OS X? I am on 10.8.2 which they pulled shortly after IIRC.

Sorry about that mixup guys. That's what I get for rushing my post :eek: Yes, I'm definitely a proud Aspyr employee. My name is Michael Blair and I've been at Aspyr for 6 years. I am the product manager and I help manage our games to release with all of our vendors. Aspyr_Ryan who you see here often is one of our QA Leads, and is the head QA honcho for Borderlands 2. Even though I have 25 years of gamer in me, I envy his skills :) Ryan and I hope to be here as often as possible to help out and answer questions.

For my rig, its a standard baseline 15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia 650M utilizing the latest 10.8.2 with the updated Nvidia drivers. Settings are default, so everything is High/Far and resolution is set at 1024x768. I too sometimes see a rendering hitch on the first shot, and we are working on ways to reduce that. With procedurally generated guns, its certainly a challenge. That all said, IT keeps our machines squeaky clean so there could be other things going on in the background hogging some resources for you?

Thank you all SO SO much for the support. Borderlands 2 has definitely been one of our proudest achievements in 16 years of bringing AAA games to the Mac. We will continue to make it better and do our best to not keep you waiting. :apple:

Jaguarxl

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Brazil
Sorry about that mixup guys. That's what I get for rushing my post :eek: Yes, I'm definitely a proud Aspyr employee. My name is Michael Blair and I've been at Aspyr for 6 years. I am the product manager and I help manage our games to release with all of our vendors. Aspyr_Ryan who you see here often is one of our QA Leads, and is the head QA honcho for Borderlands 2. Even though I have 25 years of gamer in me, I envy his skills :) Ryan and I hope to be here as often as possible to help out and answer questions.

For my rig, its a standard baseline 15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia 650M utilizing the latest 10.8.2 with the updated Nvidia drivers. Settings are default, so everything is High/Far and resolution is set at 1024x768. I too sometimes see a rendering hitch on the first shot, and we are working on ways to reduce that. With procedurally generated guns, its certainly a challenge. That all said, IT keeps our machines squeaky clean so there could be other things going on in the background hogging some resources for you?

Thank you all SO SO much for the support. Borderlands 2 has definitely been one of our proudest achievements in 16 years of bringing AAA games to the Mac. We will continue to make it better and do our best to not keep you waiting. :apple:

Nice to know that aspyr is looking for bring top games to Mac!
I'm just wandering about updates and patches... Why Aspyr release first for pc? Why not releasing for both? Right now I'm having trouble to play Borderlands 2 with friends that owns a pc...

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Nice to know that aspyr is looking for bring top games to Mac!
I'm just wandering about updates and patches... Why Aspyr release first for pc? Why not releasing for both? Right now I'm having trouble to play Borderlands 2 with friends that owns a pc...

Thanks Jaguarxl, and that's a very good question. Gearbox and the publisher 2K are responsible for the PC version of Borderlands 2. We partner with them to bring you the Mac version. When an update happens for Borderlands 2, it happens on the PC first, and we do our best to complete the Mac version of that update within a couple of weeks. During that time, the PC and Mac will have different version #'s, making the 2 versions out of sync. Once we catch up, you will be able to play with your PC buddies again.

Let me also say that Gearbox is an AMAZING developer. As gamers and as fellow Texans ;) we are super proud to be working with them on Borderlands 2.

allfunandgames

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Let me also say that Gearbox is an AMAZING developer. As gamers and as fellow Texans ;) we are super proud to be working with them on Borderlands 2.

I would like to reiterate the earlier comment thanking Aspyr for bringing B2 out on the Mac so soon after PC release. That must be some sort of record for short release lag for an AAA game from separate developers!

I purchased this on Steam for Mac primarily to support this move...haven't even played it yet. Considering I am on the minimum specs, it will be interesting to see how it runs.

Great stuff!

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I would like to reiterate the earlier comment thanking Aspyr for bringing B2 out on the Mac so soon after PC release. That must be some sort of record for short release lag for an AAA game from separate developers!

I purchased this on Steam for Mac primarily to support this move...haven't even played it yet. Considering I am on the minimum specs, it will be interesting to see how it runs.

Great stuff!

Aw shucks, thanks! We worked and are working really really hard on BL2, so your appreciation means A LOT to us. Lots more to come from Aspyr and Borderlands 2. Its going to be a great holiday-2013 for sure ;)

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005

Hi Michael, thank for taking the time to browse the forums and offer a solution.

I have the baseline rMBP too. 2.3 Ghz. Same version number. There is nothing hogging resources to my knowledge, I only got it a month ago :)

This is what I experience:

First load the game lags like crazy. Levels out after about 5-8 seconds. Then frame rate is smooth, but will drop off if happen to be looking at the wrong thing (what the wrong thing is I don't know it will just drop noticeably when moving around at times). When I first fire a gun, the game pauses. Then seems to work normally after. Opening the inventory creates a large lag spike at first, then its really jerky moving around inside it. But it will go smoothly, but them seemingly start missing mouse input for a second. There are many times during gameplay when there will be micro stutters. The micro stutters seem more prevalent in enemy battles.

All in all it grates and I just found myself 'waiting' for the next stutter instead of playing the game. I have been playing Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 quite happily.

I have been running at 1440 x 900 in all my tests btw. I tried 1024 x 768 but geez that is low. I mean it does not even take up the full size of the screen....:confused: performance seemed improved but the issues above did not vanish fully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.