Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheen911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Hello everyone.
I just want to how the gameplay is on the macbook pro 2010 2.4ghz 13".
Does it make the macbook extremely hot? i don't want to burn my machine thanks:D. So please reply me if you have any experience with the game on MacOs and not bootcamp.

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Hello everyone.
I just want to how the gameplay is on the macbook pro 2010 2.4ghz 13".
Does it make the macbook extremely hot? i don't want to burn my machine thanks:D. So please reply me if you have any experience with the game on MacOs and not bootcamp.

Hey sheen. Your MBP should run it with no problems. If it does run a little slower than you'd like, try turning off 'Dynamic Shadows' in the game, as this causes the biggest performance hit.

It will make the MacBook heat up a bit, and you'll notice your fans making more noise than usual, but as long as there's ventilation around the laptop (i.e. you've got it on a desk, not resting on a bed or blanket) you'll have no problems.

– Ian :)

sheen911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Hey sheen. Your MBP should run it with no problems. If it does run a little slower than you'd like, try turning off 'Dynamic Shadows' in the game, as this causes the biggest performance hit.

It will make the MacBook heat up a bit, and you'll notice your fans making more noise than usual, but as long as there's ventilation around the laptop (i.e. you've got it on a desk, not resting on a bed or blanket) you'll have no problems.

– Ian :)

Thanks for the reply Ian :D..then how about CoD4 modern warfare?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Feral did not work on CoD4 so we honestly don't know any more than you do. Reading the specifications on the game page should help, I think you should be fine but best read up and check for yourself.

Cheers,

Edwin

sheen911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Feral did not work on CoD4 so we honestly don't know any more than you do. Reading the specifications on the game page should help, I think you should be fine but best read up and check for yourself.

Cheers,

Edwin

Thanks edwin:D

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
As long as we're on the topic of Borderlands...

I bought this on App store as soon as it arrived and have been playing it for weeks now. I'm at level 24 and it's been a great ride, I'm not even halfway through the single player missions yet. The game has such a polished feel to it. Thank you @ Feral for not using Cider and making it Mac-native.

But I'm wondering, since I bought it through App store, and I sync all my apps to both of my Macs, is there any problem with running this game multiplayer on my two Macs with my "single" license of the game?

I tried it on a LAN (not over the Internet, i.e. I wasn't using GameSpy). It didn't work; neither Mac game sees the other one on the LAN. I didn't pursue it much further, because I don't really have anyone else to play it with... I just was curious to try it. :p

So, is the license blocking me, or (more likely) a firewall issue? I've heard that I need to open up some ports when playing multiplayer, even on a LAN. I'm using the default firewall settings, whatever the Mac defaults to. I've read various PC boards and nobody seems to agree on what ports are used, so they just turn their firewall off entirely... I don't want to do that.

Time Clock

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
Speaking of Borderlands... I'd like to purchase the game, but I'd like to try it out first. Is there ever going to be demo? I actually bought Bioshock based off of the way the demo ran on my Mini. I want to make sure the game runs decently on my Mac before shelling out my money.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
As long as we're on the topic of Borderlands...

I bought this on App store as soon as it arrived and have been playing it for weeks now. I'm at level 24 and it's been a great ride, I'm not even halfway through the single player missions yet. The game has such a polished feel to it. Thank you @ Feral for not using Cider and making it Mac-native.

But I'm wondering, since I bought it through App store, and I sync all my apps to both of my Macs, is there any problem with running this game multiplayer on my two Macs with my "single" license of the game?

I tried it on a LAN (not over the Internet, i.e. I wasn't using GameSpy). It didn't work; neither Mac game sees the other one on the LAN. I didn't pursue it much further, because I don't really have anyone else to play it with... I just was curious to try it. :p

So, is the license blocking me, or (more likely) a firewall issue? I've heard that I need to open up some ports when playing multiplayer, even on a LAN. I'm using the default firewall settings, whatever the Mac defaults to. I've read various PC boards and nobody seems to agree on what ports are used, so they just turn their firewall off entirely... I don't want to do that.

Contact support with a "support report" (see Read Me on how to make one) for both machines and we will have a look into it for you.

Speaking of Borderlands... I'd like to purchase the game, but I'd like to try it out first. Is there ever going to be demo? I actually bought Bioshock based off of the way the demo ran on my Mini. I want to make sure the game runs decently on my Mac before shelling out my money.

As it is an open ended game it has no demo this is the same as the PC and console versions. My guess based on you mentioning a Mac mini that existed when BioShock was shipped is that you have a 9400M Mac mini which means you will be more or less minimum spec for this game so expect to be playing on one of the lower resolutions with most settings turned down/off.

Borderlands is effected by resolution more than effects so dropping your res is always the biggest speed boost.

Edwin

Time Clock

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Hemet, CA
As it is an open ended game it has no demo this is the same as the PC and console versions. My guess based on you mentioning a Mac mini that existed when BioShock was shipped is that you have a 9400M Mac mini which means you will be more or less minimum spec for this game so expect to be playing on one of the lower resolutions with most settings turned down/off.

Borderlands is effected by resolution more than effects so dropping your res is always the biggest speed boost.

Thanks, it is appreciated:)

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007

The OSX CoD Modern Warfare port blows. Don't bother with it, just boot into Windows. I had to turn tons of things down, including the res just to get a playable framerate in OSX. In Windows? I could crank everything up and set it to a higher res and ended up with better framerates.

The Borderlands port on the other hand runs great. I wish that Feral would handle all ports of PC games if Borderlands is an indication of what they can do.

vanvalkinburgh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
New MBP 13" currently is not as powerful (for gaming) as the previous two revisions of the MBP 13" as the graphics card does not support some fairly major features that mean some more modern games like Borderlands which we made will not play or will play with large glitches.

Now the software drivers will improve but this card is not a gaming card and unlike the NV integrated cards that it replaces the drivers are missing a few features. You should be able to play some older games but even on the PC the Intel HD 3000 will not cut the mustard for any of the newer PC titles.

If you are really wanting to play some games for the next few years I would look at the 15" (if you can afford it) as it contains a dedicated card as well as the Intel one which will make all the difference for gaming. At the very least do some research before you buy don't want you to be disappointed with the 13" MBP due to the gfx card it has installed.

Edwin

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12078958/

Should of read that before I bought the game, its downloading. Somebody else said
the HD3000 is better than people give it credit for... tis also faster in i7s than in i5s. I had a Macbook Pro 13" with a 320m, and I have a 17"Macbook pro now that I've played some games using just the HD3000, and the HD3000 runs pretty close to the same speed as the 320m, i cannot tell a difference. This is only in OSX though, as I do not use Windows, or even have it installed. The i5 HD3000 will be a bit slower, but still runs decently. There are no features its really missing for gaming like previous generations Intel Graphics.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12081559/

Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll work. Thought I read somewhere else that it works on low settings, but I can't find that post.

vanvalkinburgh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Seems to run fine on low settings. Was getting some lag, but rebooting seemed to fix that. Was probably low on memory.

sheen911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Half Life 2
Portal
Counter Strike Source
Torchlight
Bioshock demo
Plants vs Zombies
Lux Delux
Minecraft

Those are all the other games I've played on it. They all work fine.

thanks:D..i want borderlands.. i bought the 2010 13" pro just one month before the 2011 13" pro was announced -_-"...
But i'm ok with it thou.. at least it looks the same haha:D

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Seems to run fine on low settings. Was getting some lag, but rebooting seemed to fix that. Was probably low on memory.

I work for Feral (we developed Borderlands on the Mac) so I do know Borderlands does have some side effects when playing on a Intel HD3000. The biggest issue is some decals etc are rotated 90 degrees and changing your resolution while playing the game results in a permanent black screen. These are side effects of missing features in the drivers compared to other cards in older MacBookPro machines.

We are working on building up a list of the issues with the HD3000 and also thinking about how we can disable certain graphics options or alter our methods to get around the problems. If you notice issues with any Feral game on your 13" MacBookPro please email our support team so we can make sure we look into it and more importantly let you know when we have a solution.

Cheers,

Edwin

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I really like Feral's ports. I tried their demos yesterday night and all of them ran silky smooth.

Most of the games are ones I bought on Windows, but I am keeping my eyes peeled for sales. I'll buy them to support the dev even if I likely won't replay them.

I did not buy any Borderlands DLC on steam, so when the Mac GOTY version goes on sale I will pick it up.

Most of my game purchases are impulse buys (Steam, D2D, Impulse and iOS App Store) when games go on sale or triple AA titles that I can't wait to play. I hope Mac devs can either release same day as Windows or start offering sales on App store (or wherever).

If devs only get 70% on App Store, why not sell games for 30% less on their own websites?

vanvalkinburgh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I work for Feral (we developed Borderlands on the Mac) so I do know Borderlands does have some side effects when playing on a Intel HD3000. The biggest issue is some decals etc are rotated 90 degrees and changing your resolution while playing the game results in a permanent black screen. These are side effects of missing features in the drivers compared to other cards in older MacBookPro machines.

We are working on building up a list of the issues with the HD3000 and also thinking about how we can disable certain graphics options or alter our methods to get around the problems. If you notice issues with any Feral game on your 13" MacBookPro please email our support team so we can make sure we look into it and more importantly let you know when we have a solution.

Cheers,

Edwin

I noticed the rotation thing. I haven't got the black screen yet.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
when the Mac GOTY version goes on sale I will pick it up.

The Mac GOTY is available to buy in boxed form (from our site and many others) or from digital stores including the MacGameStore, Direct2Drive & AppStore. The German censored version is still in approvals for the AppStore but all other stores the German version is available to buy.

Edwin

p.s. Thanks for all the kind words about our ports, we will do our best to live up the reputation :)

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
The Mac GOTY is available to buy in boxed form (from our site and many others) or from digital stores including the MacGameStore, Direct2Drive & AppStore. The German censored version is still in approvals for the AppStore but all other stores the German version is available to buy.

Edwin

p.s. Thanks for all the kind words about our ports, we will do our best to live up the reputation :)

Hey Edwin!

Thanks. I meant 'SALE!!' not 'sale.' ;)

I bet you would sell more $$$ of Borderlands at $25 than $50. It would also make people aware of your excellent ports. Which would mean more sales in the future. :D

Even Apple is doing it! I bought Aperture for $80 on the App Store.

:D

vanvalkinburgh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
For anyone wondering, there's another problem with Borderlands on the MacBook Pro 13". Using a PS3 controller and when you click square on a vending machine, it exits right away. Also the select button doesn't work. Feral Interactive was able to reproduce it on the same machine. They said the other macs with different video didn't have that problem.

We have just investigated this issue and have found that the same thing happened to us when we used the PS3 controller. It seems to be related to the HD 3000 graphics card in the new MacBook Pro, as the PS3 controller functions fine on other machines with other cards.

We will look to fix this issue in a future patch, alternatively the problem *could* be resolved in a future Apple software update. Until this patch / update is released, I'm afraid that there is not much that I can do other than suggest that you use a two-buttoned mouse to play the game. Alternatively, we have also tested the Logitech wired RumblePad 2 and found that this functioned without issue.

Strange that the intel video would mess up a game controller. Now I'm going to go look into that Logitech wired RumblePad 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.