Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I definitely am not looking for an argument, just new inspiration for the iPad.

Yeah, because it's a subjective evaluation, there is nothing to even argue about. It's a device you like|dislike and/or need|don't-need based on your own feelings about it.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I never sit on our sofa (hate them) so if I'm in my chair I have my lap desk.
Same, I have many iPads but never ever used any on a sofa (at least alone, maybe a couple of times to show something to friends, as sofa is only for guests, I don't use it for me)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Issue is laptops don’t have the app quality for content and overall What I use the most. I can make my ipad feel like a laptop but can’t do the other way around due to no touch, no pencil support, no real social media apps on the mac where on the iPad you get all of they and you can still search for things and post on here with ease with their Magic Keyboard.

so while I use my 16 MacBook Pro for work and files it’s just easier using my 12.9 pro with MK a lot of the time for most tasks at home

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
I prefer iMac and a 11" iPad, tried the 12.9" and a MacBook both didn't suit me.
I do have a home office though.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Perhaps if we used our “boring ” ipad something just /only to reply to these replies……
you
wont
be
bored!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
iPad isn’t for you, sell it.

I use my 12.9” iPad way more than my 14” MBP. In fact I should sell the MBP but I feel it will come in handy one day so who knows.

Reactions: BB1970

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
Perhaps if we used our “boring ” ipad something just /only to reply to these replies……
you
wont
be
bored!
I'd love too. But I use LRC for DAM and it won't run that, no Pixelmator pro and photoshop on the iPad just isn't there. Those are my biggest hang ups.

Reactions: MBAir2010

ps866mker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2022
Sell it and buy something else, or save the money. People should stop this mindless consumption

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Me either, I was just sharing a thought about a product I have looking for maybe and angle I'm missing.
Your heading is bored, nothing boring about a 12.9” iPad, you just like the MacBook better, just sell it.
theend/

Reactions: ericwn

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well I’d sell both and pocket the money if I never picked them up, OR I’d sell both and buy an Air (this is what I did when I got my iMac and couldn’t justify keeping both iPads due to not using either one enough). I still use my iPad a lot though since I have a desktop Mac that I only really using for anything having to do with photos (organizing, sorting, making photo books, etc.). I find that the Air (11” pro would be great as well) is a great size for portability. I can still use it comfortably enough for reading, but it’s big enough with keyboard to do most of the other things I do.

It’s great for traveling. It’s small enough to fit in the pocket of my weekend bag. I can pack a single charger/cord for the iPad and phone, throw in the extra cord for the watch, and I’m good to go.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Me either, I was just sharing a thought about a product I have looking for maybe and angle I'm missing.
That's a worthwhile endeavor. I've owned iPads since gen 1 and have been on that journey of trying to figure out what role the iPad plays among my other (numerous) devices. In order to not draw an erroneous conclusion based on limited hardware, along the way, I tried a fully kitted 12.9" iPad Pro.

That was fun experiment. I was able to do quite a bit... especially with Jump Desktop and the Citrix M1 Mouse (at a time when iOS didn't natively support mice). As enjoyable as that was, the limitations of iOS/iPadOS prevented it from reaching the potential of the hardware.

That's when I downsized to the base model iPad. For 95% of what I can do with the iPad Pro, I can do on the base iPad for far less, in a more compact form-factor.

For me, the hardware is not the limiting factor, but the OS. iPadOS is essentially the same smartphone OS it always was. Apple has applied patch upon patch upon patch in an attempt to expand functionality. The problem is that it is now disjointed and inconsistent.
  • Per-app storage sandboxing makes working with files a clunky affair.
  • Random system settings that don't seem to fit anywhere get dumped into "Accessability".
  • App settings are split between a settings option in the app, and an app-specific entry in system settings.
  • Limited ability to arrange icons and elements on the homescreen.
All that to say, I don't think that you've missed anything.

Reactions: muzzy996

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
Thats a typo, it's 2TB, my MBP is 1TB. My wife ordered it and she knew I'd want the upgraded ram and she wanted to make sure I could store all the photos on my MB on my iPad as well. I'm not using much of the space. I have about 500 GB of photos.
Oof yeah that's a bit of a waste especially given what an ipad can accomplish (for you, for us at least 🙃). I get the ram motivation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.