Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I was just thinking this morning what a boring year it has been product-wise.

I know we've had the MBP's iMacs, Mac mini's etc. but they are virtually in the same form factor as before.

Last yeat we had nano's, new video iPods, more affordable 30" ACD's...

I dunno, just seems like it's been a quiet year, aside from the Intel thing. :confused:

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think they're just trying to make the switch to Intel a little less of a shock. Hopefully next year will yield more design changes, rather than just technical ones.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
dude, its only may. the nano and video ipod didnt come out til June and September respectively.

we're all but guaranteed a new iPod this year at some point, plus full details of Leopard. relax

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Think "Mac Pro". Then you can ditch that troublesome G5 for something decent. :eek: :p

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
The MacBook Pro/MacBook releases have been pretty exciting... just because the portable line finally has some real processing power.

... but yeah, aside from that it hasn't been that interesting. iPod Boombox? :eek:

I think the MacBook Pro needs some tweaks to its case design - as its starting to feel a bit stale.

mmm... sexy gunmetal grey MacBook Pro

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
you see i was just thinking about what all has happened just after the release of the 5GB ipod back in 01. Look what has happened in the past four and half years. The G5 processor, airport express, four more generations of the ipod, the popular iMac form factor, Tiger, panther, the iTMS. The whole intel switch and every single unit minus the powermac has transitioned over to the intel processors, hell apples now can run windows. I look at how much i hated windows back before i finally switched two years ago and I can't believe it.

if this is the stuff apple can do in the past four years, or hell even in the past year, just wait. boring year, yeah maybe but still impressive.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
ToddW said:
...The whole intel switch and every single unit minus the powermac and Xserve has transitioned over to the intel processors, hell apples now can run windows.

:cool:

anyway.... idk I feel sort of bored as well. Yes the intel stuff are great and welcomed (still on a G4 Ti... yarg) but... idk, I guess I'm just waiting for 10.5 and some universal apps. :confused:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The big changes were on the inside of the Macs... next up are some drop dead sexy Macs with even better chips in them. I think a simliar design of a Mac will allow user to slow get ready for break out new intel Mac

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I hope it gets a little better, so far there has been so many different updates in the processor with the MBP's and it feels like apple has forgotten everything else in their line up...I just want a new 30" cinema display to come out and then I will be happy.

skibob1027

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
Well, I'm new to macs in the past year, so if this year has been boring, I can't wait to see an exciting year!

I guess this year has been extra-exciting for me, though, because it is all so new to me. OS X (even though it's been out for a few years) is like a brand spanking new operating system, and all the apps are brand new.

I have to say, I'm impressed. I've saved up the money to buy my first Mac (so I can stop spending endless time at the school library just to use a Mac) - and I think I'm leaning toward a Macbook. I'll probably order it in the next week, put 2 gigs of RAM in it and call it a day. Then, I'm hoping by September or October I'll be able to get an iMac and be PC-Free!

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
The year is still young. Apple has almost finished complete transition over to Intel, lightyears ahead of when analysts expected.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I hear Apple and the "adult toy industry" are working on a.. device.. that will accept a plug from the iPod and will... oscillate... to the tunes being played.
That should be exciting, no?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I think things should get more exciting later in the year - Intel PowerMacs (hopefully they are more than just a chip change and are an awesome, significant upgrade), true video iPods, a Mac mini DVR type of home media center, and hopefully a couple surprises.

Still plenty of 2006 left for Apple to wow us... ;)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I agree, that buzz we all get is just missing. All the product releases have been "safe" and just there. Then again its still mid-year and apple may release the iPhone and a re-designed MacPro as well as a true Video iPod. Heres hoping.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
It'd be great to have a totally new 'thing'. And no, the iPod Hi-Fi definitely does not count.

Still, I think just converting the existing range to Intel is work enough for all the chaps and chapesses at Apple for the moment. Then, hopefully, all those lovely new Intel chips will open the door to new, exciting form factors that just wern't possible with the old chips. I'm not sure if we'll see something before the end of the year, but I'm eternally optimistic :D The bottle of Vodka is always half full!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.