Borked Permissions on Home Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VictoryHighway, Mar 4, 2010.

1. VictoryHighway macrumors member

VictoryHighway

Greetings,
    I've recently bought a Mac Mini to use as a network file & print server for my home network. Up until that time, I used an AirPort Extreme for that purpose, but ran into some issues with using multiple external drives connected via a hub to the AirPort Extreme's USB port.

My problem is that I've set up one of the external drives for use with the Mini as a shared drive. I've got the following directory (folder) structure set up:

/
    /Shared
    /Users
    /My folder
    /My sister's folder
    /My dad's folder
    /My mother's folder

My problem is that I've somehow corrupted the permissions on this drive somehow, and I don't know how to fix them. I want it so that each family member has read/write access to the /Shared directory and each family member has read/write access to their own directory under the /Users directory, and no other family member has access. For example, I would have read/write access to my own /Users directory but no access to my dad's directory.

What is happening, is that in the /Shared folder, I'm finding that I can read & write to some of the subdirectories on the shared drive. However, when I copy the directory to my local hard drive OS X tells me that I have no access to the directory and I can't even open it.

My question is, how can I fix this permissions nightmare that I've somehow gotten myself into?

Regards,
    Geoffrey

2. VictoryHighway thread starter macrumors member

VictoryHighway