Borrowing my friends iPhone and activating it worked.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacUser324, Jul 6, 2008.

1. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

OK, I went ahead and tried it. Both my account and my friends account states we are upgrade eligible. Though, I am sure this has been confirmed already, just letting those who still confused that it indeed works. :)

[​IMG]

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Hopefully works you mean.

Just becasuse it changed your status on the web page, it does not guarantee anything for anyone.

Hopefully it will work out for you on launch day.

3. doug0365 macrumors member

So your saying that before doing this your status on the Att website said that you were not eligible for an upgrade?? and you borrowed your friends iphone. Put in your sim and activated and your status changed?? I gotta try that then cuz ats all I need not to pay 500 for the 16gb iphone 3g i want

4. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

Yup. Before it says I was ineligible but changed to eligible after 5 mins of activating. Then, I just put my sim back in to my blackberry.

5. doug0365 macrumors member

Awesome!! Will Try to this when i get home.

Correct me if I'm doing anything wrong

1) Backup my wifes data with itunes
    2) restore Iphone to original status
    3) take out her sim card put my back in
    4) Activate the phone in Itunes or through website?
    5) wait till eligible is changed on website
    6) put back my wifes sim card and restore her backup..
    7) Wait till friday to get my new iphone :D

6. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

1) Backup my wifes data with itunes.....Correct
    2) restore Iphone to original status......Correct
    3) take out her sim card put my back in.......Correct
    4) Activate the phone in Itunes or through website?.....Itunes
    5) wait till eligible is changed on website....Correct
    6) put back my wifes sim card and restore her backup....Correct
    7) Wait till friday to get my new iphone :D....Correct lol

7. ec51 macrumors 6502

Now it will just suck if they ask to see your phone for IMEI purposes on launch day...

8. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Does this mean you will be without a phone until Friday? How do you have a phone after you give your iPhone back to the other person? When you walk in without an iPhone are they going to ask you to see it or just assume you sold it on eBay?

9. fireb0x macrumors member

I will be trying this tonight with my Wife's phone. Is there an activation fee when you activate through itunes? Also, does it charge another activation fee when I restore the backup to my wifes phone and reactivate hers?

10. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

No, I have a BlackBerry. How do you think I got my sim card in their iPhone? I had a phone before. Also, their more than likely not going to even ask to see your iPhone. They are going to say are you a existing customer. I say yes. Then they ask the number of the account and it will show on their computer that I am eligible and have an iPhone on my account.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Another thread says this works, but someone else pointed out that it will only work until July 10th.

After that, all old iPhones are considered hand-me-downs and switching after that doesn't make you eligible for an automatic subsidy.

12. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

I think, not 100% that theirs a 18$ upgrade fee.

13. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

i was under the impression that you just dock the phone to the pther persons computer and thats it? i didnt know you had to swap out sim cards. because i thought iphones dont work with others sims?((im doing this to later on tonight for me and my gf))

14. drb6 macrumors regular

Anyone in the NYC area with an AT&T iPhone wanting to help a fellow MR member out ;)

Surprisingly, despite living in NYC I know only one other person with an iPhone, but he's got it unlocked on Tmobile so wouldn't want to mess up anything for him. Hope this works out for all those trying it when they go to buy the new one.

15. doug0365 macrumors member

WORKED GREAT for me!!!

I did exactly what I posted earlier and after 5 minutes my eligibility went from NOt eligible to Upgrade your phone now :) I even went to att store and asked If i was eligible for the upgrade and he checked it out and told me Yep!! since you already have an Iphone ;) So I'm ready for friday!!!

16. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

great. :)

17. heyp macrumors 6502

do you really have to restore the iphone, or can you just pop in a different sim and activate it that way?

18. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

There's no way this will go unnoticed by AT&T for long... It's a great plan but you know if you guys thought of it, they have people at AT&T who are paid to counteract these schemes. Hope they don't put the brakes on it before Friday!

19. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

Nope, pop the sim in, and activate away. No restore necessary :):):).

20. heyp macrumors 6502

yeah let's say two people activate on the same iphone and are both seen as eligible by the system... i'm wondering if the system will only honor the first person to upgrade and then change the other person's status to ineligible... it will be interesting to see

any at&t personnel have any insight on this?

21. heyp macrumors 6502

cool, i think i'll give it a go

22. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Ha! Like everyone who is upgrading will be carrying their original iPhone with them. Of 4 people I know with iPhone, 3 of them are sold on eBay already (including mine) and the last isn't upgrading. Let them ask to see my phone.

23. doug0365 macrumors member

all that matter is that your account says you are eligible for an upgrade. At&t is not going to be playing police and try to sell phones at the sametime to them is all about selling. Now i did it because i wanted to save money, specially when my contract was about to end in few months from now. In the end this method works and for those that were in the same situation like i was before i highly recommended and stop over thinking what and wont happen when there is 2 days left

24. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

At the end of the day, AT&T has you for another 2 years with a $30 data plan on top of it so they also win. I can't see them doing too much about this, particularly with just a couple of days left. The application that controls eligibility was likely given a simple mod to show any account that has an iPhone activation as eligible. As someone mentioned previously, this application mod will likely just be turned off as of Friday. They made a quick & dirty change to accommodate eligibility for previous iPhone owners and there are bound to be some loopholes. A couple of weeks ago, out of curiosity, I changed my son's phone on the web account to an iPhone to see if it would suddenly make his account eligible.

It didn't (at least not within the 3 minutes I devoted to this little test). Not that I am getting him an iPhone anyway, I was just curious.

25. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Hope you're right. Hope they don't catch on and see that someone is trying to upgrade from a phone someone else is using on their account. They could very well punish you both by making you both ineligible.

You don't think AT&T wants to get every cent out of you they can...you think they will let this slide if they catch it? LOL...yeah right...expect to be screwed over if they catch you.