"Borrowing" my neighbor's wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by efedor, Jan 26, 2008.

1. efedor macrumors regular

So for the past week I've been "BORROWING" my neighbors wifi till this past thursday when I got my own. Problem is I get better connection thru his wifi than my own macbook! I register about a 20 signal strength and a 54 on my own but the connection works better on his than my own. Im sharing the signal thru my airport. Any suggestion of what I can do to make the connection better?......besides continuing to "borrow" his siglal!

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Perhaps you need to move your airport to a different location. Sometimes its just in a bad position or room.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You might want to check what channels the other wifi networks in your area are one and consider changing yours if they're all the same one?

You can do that through the Airport management apps

4. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

iStumbler is a good app for that. It tells you everything you'd want to know about the wireless networks in your area. Get it here.

What you need to do is look at all of the wireless channels in your area. I, for instance, see nine networks at the moment. Seven of them are on channel 6, while the other two are on either channel 1 or 11 (and mine is on 8, but I hide the SSID). Chances are that your MacBook is using the default channel which is almost universally 6. So change it (right under where you put your network's name).

Hope this helped.

5. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

I have stumbler but never knew that the channel was the same as the channel on the airport, thanks for teaching me that. I changed it to channel 12 and so far it works fine. Thank you.