Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i am borrowing somebody's wifi connection in my building,

and just curious, is there any way this person can look into my
computer and see my files and bank login info....?

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Do know that it is illegal to piggyback on someone else's WiFi, just FYI. So if they choose to steal your info, a court won't care.

Stare decisis holds that when both parties in criminal behavior (you stealing his WiFi + him stealing your information), neither has legal claim over the other for their illegal activities (i.e. a guy steals drugs from a drug dealer and the drug dealer reports the crime).

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Please cite.
No prob. These two were a few of many cases decided the same way.

"Prosecutors were more than aware of the 1979 law, which was revised in 2000 to include protections for Wi-Fi networks."

Statute:
Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

Check out paragraph (a)(2)):
It covers anyone who "intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access." It's not really detailed, but courts have interpreted it to include use against using another's WiFi network.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Please cite.

There's limited US precedent, but there are cases such as this one:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1640

...that at least have prima facie validity. Charges were also made in Florida and some other states; I'm not sure about the individual verdicts. I don't think anyone has tried to mount a serious legal challenge to the notion. I tend to doubt they'd succeed....

As for the original question, it really depends on how competent you are in securing your computer against intrusion. If you have no idea what you're doing, then they might be able to do so, yes.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
sorry, can anyone explain how this person could get into my computer, i don't care about any court cases.........

It just stuns me how you don't understand HOW someone could gain access to your computer, or intercept communications, and yet, against all logic decide to give him the opportunity to do so by joining his wireless network.

How do you know it's even a legitimate wireless network, how do you know it's not a fake access point that routes all web traffic through one machine which logs all the traffic as it goes by?

Hello? Do you even know for sure who operates the network? Do you know that it is a real access point? Probably not! It's not like it's hard to set up a fake access point that redirects everyone's bank websites to phishing websites.

I'm just rendered speechless that nobody has mentioned this possibility in this thread yet. As a further note, does anyone realize that criminals don't care about some obscure law on the books in the United States? Do they worry that someone is going to be technically competent enough to understand what they did, then prosecute them? They're more likely to win the lottery in my opinion then get a prosecutor that can do more than turn on his computer and operate e-mail, let alone understand the intricacies of 802.11 wireless networking and the security risks.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
sorry, i didn't explain the situation.

i live in a shared artist building where everyone is very community oriented and is like family _ so i am very trusing in this sense _

also, could you explain how somebody could gain access to my files ? i don't know that much about networking and wifi ....

would appreciate it ! : )

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada

i live in a shared artist building where everyone is very community oriented and is like family _ so i am very trusing in this sense _

also, could you explain how somebody could gain access to my files ? i don't know that much about networking and wifi ....

Whoever owns the router can run network sniffing software and see what's going through. Only secure traffic like SSL is protected, but general surfing and email is open to inspection. If you want to protect yourself, buy something like PersonalVPN. I run it whenever I'm using WiFi outside my home.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
sorry, can anyone explain how this person could get into my computer, i don't care about any court cases.........
That's a good attitude to have. For me when I drink too much and drive I don't care about the fact I could kill myself or others, I just care how I can get caught. :rolleyes:
[note: I don't actually do this]

Trust, family, community...if this is how you describe the owner of your wifi connection then why in the world are you here asking us how they could potentially harm/steal/see your files? You do trust these people who are community people that are family-orientated. From your description the people in your art building do not take me as thieves, well except maybe you but that doesn't count.

Since you do not care about the court cases that were cited above aka the legality of the situation, then why care about who is going to access your files? I mean you said it..."trust, community, family" those people wouldn't steal from you. Forge ahead my friend. :)

If you must know, yes there is potential for your data to be exposed but that is a risk you assume when you connect to someone else's wifi.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Do they worry that someone is going to be technically competent enough to understand what they did, then prosecute them? They're more likely to win the lottery in my opinion then get a prosecutor that can do more than turn on his computer and operate e-mail, let alone understand the intricacies of 802.11 wireless networking and the security risks.
That's actually widely inaccurate.

There are not only attorney's that specialize in this area, but have their entire practice built on Computer Fraud, ID theft, etc. I'm in law school, and I've already had 2 professors that are VERY well-versed in the intricacies of nearly anything you want to deal with when it comes to computers, networks, etc.

P.S. Great point Jessica; if these people are "family/community," and they really don't mind you using their WiFi, why do you need to worry about them stealing info from your computer?

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i am asking about getting access to files through wifi just as a

general question, and not nessarily about my wifi connection at home.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If you don't know the consequences, you shouldn't be doing it and yes there are consequences. Though I'm curious if you want specific details about it because you want to know if you can access the wifi owner's files.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I didn't know there was such moral outrage in using someone else's wifi connection.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I didn't know there was such moral outrage in using someone else's wifi connection.

Morals yes. Outrage, hardly.

The sense of entitlement that is pervasive today is sickening though.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Morals yes. Outrage, hardly.

The sense of entitlement that is pervasive today is sickening though.

As you clean up your puke from being so sickened, realize that many people don't see it as a moral issue. I remember telling someone that I was password-protecting my wifi connection, and they thought I was being selfish by not sharing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.