Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Semio1es

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a friend who is looking to unload these for around $150. They have no cosmetic damage and are basically brand new.

I just want to be able to play Mp3 from my Apple TV. I want something with a small footprint. Not looking for large floor speakers or 5.1 surround sound.

Will these provide good sound for music?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on good speakers that have a small footprint?

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I've got some old Bose 301 Series II speakers and they're pretty darn nice. The biggest problem with them is that they cost too much (the biggest problem with Bose, in my opinion). I'm not a big fan of their satellite/sub designs, but their full size designs are pretty decent, but overpriced.

Assuming that the 301 design hasn't changed significantly (8" woofer, plus one or two tweeters), those are probably a pretty good deal for that price.

Drumerdude

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
Those are really nice speakers. i would keep with them. I also agree that Bose is a little over priced.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Friends don't let friends buy Bose. I've owned a couple satellite systems of them, and even their "flagship" 901's. The 901's sound like a good speaker from the 1970's (= crappy).

$150 is not a huge investment, though. Personally I would even go for a Klipsch system. Bose's marketing strategy is good, but their "facts" are terrible. They try to convince you that smaller systems are better, and reflections are good for surround.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have older 201's, and I too find them reasonably good, although not particularly remarkable. $150 is not a lot but there are probably also numerous options at that price point besides this pair of Bose speakers.... I personally don't care for any satellite / sub system for music, but some people like them quite a lot. I think there are lots of good bookshelf speakers, though....

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The 301s are not a sat/sub system. I can't speak for this version of them, but my 25+ year-old 301 Series II speakers are really nice sounding bookshelf speakers with an 8" woofer and a couple tweeters (firing in different directions for reflective purposes). There is a big difference between Bose's sat/sub systems and their full-size speakers.

From a quick search, the 301 Series V (which is what I'm assuming when the OP says v5) go for $300 new. At that price, they're probably not worth it. However, at half that amount, they're probably a pretty good deal.

Semio1es

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I do not want speakers with a large footprint. That is the whole reason I was looking at these. ALSO THE PRICE was great for what you get.

I know that Bose are over priced but I thought for half price they were a good deal.

If anyone can recommend a better set of bookshelves for under $200 I will listen. I will even go with 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub for $200 or under.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.