Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As promised, Bose has begun rolling out a firmware update providing AirPlay 2 support for its range of Bose SoundTouch speakers.

bose-soundtouch-10-800x450.jpg

Firmware update 24.0.7 works with the following models:
  • SoundTouch 10
  • SoundTouch 20 series III
  • SoundTouch 30 series III
  • SoundTouch SA-5 amplifier
  • Wave SoundTouch music system IV
  • SoundTouch 300 wireless sound bar system
  • Lifestyle 550 home entertainment system
  • Lifestyle 600 home entertainment system
  • Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system
AirPlay 2 support is being rolled out as part of a free over-the-air software update via the Bose SoundTouch app for iPhone and iPad. Simply log into the SoundTouch app and accept the update when it appears.

AirPlay‌ 2 enables multi-room audio playback with other ‌AirPlay‌ 2 devices, such as the HomePod, Apple TV, and select speakers from Sonos, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, and others. ‌AirPlay‌ 2 devices also appear in the Home app on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch and can be controlled with Siri voice commands.

The update also includes SiriusXM (SXM) stability improvements and access to additional SXM content. If you're an SXM user you will need to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the SoundTouch app and that you're using the most recent firmware for your Bose speaker. You’ll also need to add your SiriusXM account details again, even if you’ve connected in the past.

Although deployment of the firmware began on Tuesday, the update will roll out in phases, so some SoundTouch owners may not receive the update until February 25 at the latest.

Bose added AirPlay 2 to select BoseSmart speakers and sound bars last year.

(Thanks, Drew!)

Article Link: Bose Begins Rollout of AirPlay 2 Support to SoundTouch Speakers and More

Last edited:

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That took 3 years! Better late than never, but I'm not going to buy a BOSE product without it supporting the features at the time of purchase.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Finally! I got a refurbished SoundTouch 10 (the one in the picture) for less than $100 and it sounds just as good (in my opinion) as a Sonos Play 1. AirPlay 2 support really makes this more useful now.

edolecki

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Boston, MA
How good is the soundbar? I am in the market for one. And this update means I can use it with my Apple TV, right?
It's the only sound bar that sounds great in our living room with a cathedral ceiling. Subwoofer is wonderful too. You could always use the sound bar with Apple TV while in that source. Apple TV to your TV, SoundTouch to TV ARC.

Reactions: iDento

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I cannot express how surprised I was when I updated. Bose has been promising this update for well over a year - I have the 300, sub, and satellite rear speakers - seamlessly blended into my airplay 2 ecosystem (homepod, sonos, ikea synfonisk, and airport express)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.