BOSE Comapnion 3's or 5's - which are better?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dylanbrown, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

I am looking for a pair of descent speakers for my Mac. I was looking at the Companion 3's in the Apple Store, and they sounded amazing, I was just wondering if it's worth spending extra for the Companion 5's.

Or, are there speakers on the market good/better than the Bose that are cheaper?

Any help would be great!!

2. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Both are great

I am sure there are speakers that are cheaper and sound just as good, but I am not sure which they are.
    I own the Bose 3's and they are amazing! I have the prior model, but the new ones are sweet!
    If you can afford the 5's and have room then of course go for 5. But I can honestly say the 3's are a great speaker, I also have Bose Quiet Comfort and those rock, great for trips!
    So I say BOSE, but I would hear other people out too.

3. ljones macrumors regular

I have the Bose companion 2, had them for about 2 years now with no complaints. Still great speakers.

4. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

For that price, I'd get a set of Logitech Z-5500's. AU$699 Retail - AU$299 on eBay. I got the Z-5500's. Simply amazing. :D

If you want Bose, get the Companion 5 if you can afford them, otherwise the 3's will be fine. :)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bose is never the cheapest option or the best for the most part. I second the Logitech recommendation for compute speakers, but for the price you can look at some monitors.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

They both suck. Bose is overpriced crap. Go ask any professional in the recording industry, they'll laugh at Bose products. Go and get a good pair of speakers. Klipsch makes some good speakers, even the HK SoundSticks II are better then any Bose product (from an audio standpoint).

Don

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most people won't say that Bose products suck, just that they are (massively) overpriced. There are much better options for lower price, but just because they cost twice what they should cost doesn't mean they sound bad.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hey everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, but I must say your comment about Soundsticks II being better than the Bose Companion 5's is far off the mark speaking as one who owns them both. I always enjoyed the SS IIs- until I heard the Companion 5s! :D

9. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies!

I was just eyeing up the Sound Sticks in the :apple: Store, and also saw the Bose companion 3's as well, for around £70 more. I was just wondering if it was worth it?

For some reason, I don't like the bases on the Soundsticks, but that's a personal choice. Also I did read some reviews and it said that out of the box, they do require a bit of tweaking to get them set-up, but what set of speakers don't!

Anyway, I was just looking at the Bose Companion 3's as they got fantastic reviews and sounded awesome in the store... thanks for all of your replies, but I think I still have my heart set on a pair of Bose speakers!!

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I forgot that you were in the UK. Stop this debate now, get the Swan M10's. Find them in the UK and get them, you cannot go wrong. With that said if you are at the Apple Store the best option IMO is the Altec Lansing FX6021, however they are way overpriced as are most things at the the Apple store.

11. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your speaker recommendations! I checked out the Swan M10's, and although the specs look very good, they are a bit too big for a desktop computer speaker (In my liking), but those Altec Lansing one's you were going on about, were also in my list of speakers that looked quite good.

I liked the FX6021's, but didn't like the controller box, nor did I like how big the sub was (It looked huge in John Lewis's)

Anyway, if it was your money - simple question: Altec Lansing FX6021's or Bose Companion 3's?

12. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

id go for the companion 3 - they are also made a heck of a lot better. the companion 5 that i have, which i know is made in near enough the same way as the 3 is nearly all metal. and they look a lot nicer next to my iMac than the altec did

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Swan's... Umm the speakers are really not that much bigger (okay, twice the size, but they are fully worth every inch or centimeter of it) Altec's is what I bought they are much better sounding.