Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I thought that the speakers on my 24" ACD would be sufficient, but they aren't, so I'm looking for a good pair of speakers (2.0, not 2.1). Small size and sound quality at lower volumes are a priority; I will not be blasting these. I've narrowed it down to these two speakers, and had a chance to listen to the Bose speakers in the Bose store. They sounded nice, but seemed to really shine at higher volume levels. My local Apple stores are overrun and I haven't been able to listen properly to the MM-1s they have set up.

Any thoughts between these two? The B&W's obviously are much more expensive, but I prefer their design.

Thanks in advance.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Bowers and wilkins is a great audio company. Bose is overly commercialized and their products are overpriced for what they offer. However if your budget extends to the cost of the MM1, there's a whole bunch of studio monitors and/or small bookshelves to choose from as well.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Bowers and wilkins is a great audio company. Bose is overly commercialized and their products are overpriced for what they offer. However if your budget extends to the cost of the MM1, there's a whole bunch of studio monitors and/or small bookshelves to choose from as well.

Many thanks for the response. I realize that for $500 you can get a good set of speakers and an amp, but I'm looking for the minimalist solution here. The speakers on the 24" ACD were disappointing; the built-in speakers on my 5-year old iMac sound much better. I did pick up a pair of the MM-1s yesterday at the Apple Store; I have until early January to demo them. I'll report back.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
First Impressions of the MM-1

OP here - The MM-1s sound about a million times better than the built-in speakers in the 24" ACD, which is to be expected given that they cost almost as much as I paid for the display. I'm going to give them an extended audition, but I do like them generally. Two things I don't like: (i) They emit a faint white-noise/hiss whenever they are on, which is noticeable only when they are not playing anything and the room is very quiet. From searching the web, this is just a characteristic of these speakers, and I'm going to have to decide whether I can live with the hiss. (ii) They are always on, unless you turn them off separately. The computer sleeping has no effect on the speakers.

Relatively speaking, they cost a fortune, but the form factor/design is great.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Are they usb powered? If they plug into a wall to be fed power, try seeing if disconnecting them from the computer removes the noise. Might be that you'd want an external dac/amp.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Are they usb powered? If they plug into a wall to be fed power, try seeing if disconnecting them from the computer removes the noise. Might be that you'd want an external dac/amp.

The MM-1s use USB to get the digital signal (it has a separate DAC, which hopefully accounts for a lot of the crazy high cost), and if you mute the speakers, the hiss goes away. It doesn't if you just sleep the computer. I suspect it's just a characteristic of this speaker. But the sound is so full even at low volumes that I'll probably keep them. Many thanks for your responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.