Bose Companion 3 Series II

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by II AndyG33 II, Jul 31, 2008.

1. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

So...
    im looking into buying speakers soon
    I really like the Bose companion 3's
    What are your guys's opinions on this 2.1 system
    on the apple website reviews are really varied
    so i thought id try the forums
    Any problems with them???
    Also,
    how much interference with phones? (while talking)

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Up front, I will say that I can't offer an opinion on Companion 3's but I will certainly say that I love my Companion 5's. I originally listened to them at some of the stores that had the Bose demo displays (obviously set up to highlight their products of course) and did note a lot of difference between the two but I wound up wth the 5's anyway.

There are probably better sounding specialty speakers out there, but as a fan of Bose since I bought my first pair of 901 speakers for home audio, I was sold on the Companions from the first listening. They replaced Harmon Kardon Soundstick II's here BTW.

If you get some Companions, be sure you run "Audio Midi Setup" in your Utilities folder to set them as up "Multichannel" using the 5.1 setup- it works really well with them.

BTW- Not really certain about your question about phone interference. I have certainly never experienced any with cordless or cells.

3. platypus63 macrumors regular

I have the Companion 3 IIs. They sound good, the 5s do sound better but more expensive of course.

There is a low fuzz that comes through the speakers when they are on and nothing is playing through them (regardless of what volume they are on). I've seen a few of these speakers and all of them have had it in various degrees. Luckily mine is pretty low, and with my speaker placement virtually inaudible, but i have heard some crackly sets. So i'd advise you to buy in a store rather than online so it would be easy to exchange.

They definitely do sound great for computer speakers. Better than logitech or creative sets i've tried and returned.

There is phone interference as with most computer speakers, but the problem is easily solved by spending 10 bucks at radioshack or amazon. Get a few of these ferrite choke cores and clip them on every cable. Get the best fit for the cable thickness of course.

http://www.amazon.com/FERRITE-CORE-...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217611500&sr=8-3

Let me know if you have any other questions