Bose Companion 5 Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nick A, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Nick A macrumors regular

Hi I'm looking for a nice speaker system for my iMac and the companion 5 seem to be really nice. But I also noticed they are almost 3 years old, will there likely be a new version coming out soon? Also how do they perform in general?

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

This will be difficult to answer.

BOSE has been leaning away from stating speaker ratings (ohms, watts, etc) with regards to performance from their portable and desktop PC speaker lineup. That said the "quality or sound performance" will be a mixed bag from all those that reply or have tested them and is "subjective".

Subjective because what sounds great for YOUR ears may be different from mine - that and the most likely fact that neither of us; and few on these boards are true audiophiles. Should you live in the US and have access to test a BOSE Companion 5 speaker set connected to a Mac … bring your favourite CD with music you REALLY know - especially a track that you've personally heard LIVE at a concert where you really experienced the fidelity range of highs, lows, and mids … something you STILL remember hearing. THEN test … and decide for yourself.

NOTE: They ARE expensive brand new … see if you can pickup factory refurbished if listed in the Apple Store or elsewhere from a trusted retailer.

If you pick these up PLEASE PM me and let me know as I plane on purchasing these this XMas to replace my Logitech's.

Cheers.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

Bose is generally overpriced and underperforming...the best thing you can do is to purchase one somewhere (with a good return policy) and listen to it yourself. Bose setups in stores are always isolated (to present comparisons) and play tracks that make it sound better. if you can play your own music on it, that will give you a better idea of its abilities.

unless you really need small speakers, I suggest you get Swan M200's and a sub of your choice.

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There is a saying some of my audiophile snob friends have that Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment. I'm not a snob, but I do think while they are decent speakers, you can do much better for the money.