Bose Companion 5 speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by greenparty, Jan 12, 2008.

1. greenparty macrumors newbie

Hi,

I own a Macbook and I'm looking to buy a set of decent speakers for listening to music etc.

I saw the Bose Companion 5 speakers on the Apple Site:
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...JmTvVS158cidDq

It mentions USB connectivity on the review, and I'm wondering does this mean that I have to keep the speakers connected to the Macbook by USB or just the control module?
    I ask because I want to keep the speakers wall mounted and away from my desk so USB wouldn't really work.

Thanks!

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

you can also buy a seperate aux lead to plug into the control wheel thing instead of usb. They are very nice sounding.

3. platypus63 macrumors regular

The USB is necessary for it to emulate surround sound I believe, but as speakerwizard has said there is a standard aux port on the unit as well.

Just a little warning... I own the Bose Companion 3's and they sound great, but all 4 sets of the companion 3's i have heard in real life settings (not store demos) they have all exhibited a hissing/static sound from the satellite speakers when the system is on and there is no sound output. So when there is no music/movies playing and its supposed to be dead quiet, there is hissing unless you turn it off. The hissing is audible from about 3-4 feet away especially if the satellites are at same level as your ear. I exchanged my set and the new one still had this problem. So I ended up taking the stands off and positioned them to tilt slightly downwards and put them on my high shelves to not hear the static.

Remember this experience of mine was for the Companion 3's but do a little research on the 5's, or at least buy from a brick/mortar store so you can exchange much more easily if dissatisfied. I ended up keeping them in the end because they sounded better than the creatives or logitechs.

-enjoy

4. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

I have Bose the 3-2-1 GS Series II Speakers for home, but opted for Klipsch 2.1 Promedias for my MBP. They were cheaper and much better sounding than the Companion 3, and much much cheaper than the Companion 5's. Plus you save a USB port....

Just my 2 cents; you can google "Bose vs Klipsch" and spend hours poring over zealots on either side argue their points......in the end the Klipsch speakers made more sense and sounded better to me.

5. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Bose Companion 5 Speakers

I just got these speakers, which sound great, btw. The USB cable goes from the acoustimass module to the computer (or back of the cinema display, as mine is) and the control pod is connected to the acoustimass module, as well. The speakers aren't connected to the computer....just the module. Bose also has other speakers available called Computer Music Monitor, which is shown with a notebook that you may also want to check out on their site.