Bose Plans to Add AirPlay 2 Support to SoundTouch Speakers and More by End of February

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its support forums, Bose has indicated that it plans to add AirPlay 2 support to select SoundTouch speakers and other systems by the end of February.

The following products will be included:
  • SoundTouch 10
  • SoundTouch 20 series III
  • SoundTouch 30 series III
  • SoundTouch SA-5 amplifier
  • Wave SoundTouch music system IV
  • SoundTouch 300 wireless sound bar system
  • Lifestyle 550 home entertainment system
  • Lifestyle 600 home entertainment system
  • Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system
AirPlay 2 support will likely be rolled out as part of a free over-the-air software update via the Bose Music app for iPhone and iPad.

AirPlay? 2 enables multi-room audio playback with other ?AirPlay? 2 devices, such as the HomePod, Apple TV, and select speakers from Sonos, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins, and others. ?AirPlay? 2 devices also appear in the Home app on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch and can be controlled with Siri voice commands.

Bose added AirPlay 2 to select BoseSmart speakers and sound bars last year.

Article Link: Bose Plans to Add AirPlay 2 Support to SoundTouch Speakers and More by End of February

StarDal

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
You can get the SoundTouch 10 for a reasonable price. This may be an opportunity to move from an Airport Express + older Soundlink I have setup in one of my rooms.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoenixDown

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
It’s about time. I feel for those that invested into the SoundTouch product line.

Bose signed its fate when they launched the Home smart speakers.

Braderunner

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
You can get a HomePod for the price of one of these. These do have a 3.5 mm input. That is the only advantage that I see.
I think Bose is overrated. But, I have never heard a HomePod. So, I can't comment on which sounds better. :confused:

SBlue1

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
I was thinking about buying one of those for a while since they have Airplay and I need a replacement for my aging AirPort Express. The base goes only down to 60 Hz though and the single driver is just pathetic 2.17 inches! But hey at least Bose gives you the specs in contrast to Apple where they hide all the driver details and just say it sounds great. :confused:

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I am truly shocked. I figured Bose changed their minds about AirPlay 2 for their SoundTouch speakers, but didn't announce it to avoid lawsuits. Clearly I was too cynical...thanks Bose!

robbo_syd

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
This is awesome news, especially as Catalina and the SoundTouch music server don't seem to work together well (it can stream files that it already knew about, but any changes to the Music.app library, such as playlists changes, no longer sync to the server app, even after full reinstall, etc) - if anyone has a known fix for that, let me know!

kurticus

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2016
Chicago
Finally. Finally! Finally?

I am happy to hear this news, but still 100% incredulous that Bose will deliver. After 2 years of empty promises, supposedly Bose has now figured out how to do junior level application development?

Don't get me wrong, I'm dying for AirPlay 2 on my ST products. I went all in with Bose under the belief Bose would deliver AP2 shortly after it was released by Apple. Getting AP2 on the ST line is, for me, the best of all worlds as I have ZERO interest in getting the newer Bose smart speakers because Alexa is built in. That is a COMPLETE disqualifier for me. IMO Alexa is not secure because . . . Amazon is not a privacy-focus company, at least nowhere to the level of Apple.

I thought about the Sonos route, their software and support are superior to Bose. But, the Bose ST lineup sound better than Sonos IMO.

I have 3xST 10s, 1xST 20 gen 3, and 2x ST300 soundbars (one of which has the AM300 sub and the VI300 rear surrounds). When we have parties it's great to be able to sync all of them streaming the same music (as long as it's Spotify or XMradio or Pandora). Being able to do the synced streaming with Apple Music will be great.

Here's to hoping Bose comes through sometime THIS decade, because they missed the last!

Last edited: