Bose series 3 speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bki122689, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

anyone own bose series 3 speakers. cause i really want to buy them, but wanted to get some advice first.

pros; cons

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Are you talking about the companion series? They're fantastic. I have series 2, and love them. Being Bose I think they're overpriced, but they don't under-deliver by any means. The Sound quality is terrific.

The only con I have is no matter what I try, I can't prevent my iPhone from freaking them out with interference. I've put those magnetite whatevers on the cables, set my phone on an anti-static bag, nothing I've read about seems to work. But the 3G phones shouldn't be a problem as 3G doesn't cause that interference like 2.5G does.

3. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Can't you get a superb Klipsch 2.1 for the same price?

4. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

yep the companion, thinking of buying series three for my mbp

do you think they are better then bose?

5. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I bet they are way better, however you might need a firewave soundcard as they are not digital nor USB-based.

6. yamaha106 macrumors member

7. timestoby macrumors 6502

you could look on youtube,ive seen reviews of them etc.personally i think its way to much money when you could get something diff and louder,but i guess its the brand you want.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

9. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

thanks for the input

on all kinds of music or just some music

10. OptyCT macrumors 6502

A lot of people confuse exaggerated highs (treble) for detail. I've always found every Bose speaker to be harsh. Let's be honest...computer speakers are the low man on the totem pole. Computer speakers have been so historically crappy that a company like Bose or Klipsch can come along and blow away the previous offerings. Being a self-proclaimed audiophile, the whole listening to music on a computer thing bothers me. People are forced to listen to compressed music through tiny, unbalanced speakers paired with a subwoofer that should only be used when watching action flicks. The resulting sound is usually boom and sizzle. Tinny highs with ridiculously pronounced lows. The whole technology is creating a generation of people who have no idea what music is actually suppose to sound like. Forgive me for my rant, but if you really want a good pair of MUSICAL computer speakers (notice I said "pair" and not "paired with an unnecessary sub"), try either of these:

http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40.html

Wow! I must be really grumpy today.

11. phoobo macrumors regular

tend to agree

Have always felt this about Bose products. Low to medium-range stuff with a huge advertising and image budget = not the best end result for sensitive ears. I have yet to hear a Bose speaker that I could listen to for more than a few minutes comfortably, and still cannot understand why Apple partners with them - except that Apple is not so concerned with sound as it is with visual processing (heck, itunes won't even handle FLAC or APE files, for goodness sake, and how many third-party music software solutions actually work in os x in stable fashion? Certainly no audiophile ones), and Bose has a modular consumer strategy already in place that is easy to sell.

Bose are the McDonald's of audio.

12. phoobo macrumors regular

agree

Yes.

Another solution: Genelec active studio monitors (like the 8040s) with a USB audio interface like Edirol. Costs a few bucks but you have high-end studio sound from a modest computer.

13. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

In audiophile circles, Bose products are, to be kind, not well respected. Personally, I think the criticism is overstated. The main problem with Bose products is that they cost too much for what you get. For most of their products you can get something that sounds better for the same money.

I have owned several sets of Bose speakers, some of which are quite good. I've got a couple of pairs of 301 Series II speakers from the early 80's which are excellent bookshelf speakers (though I did pay too much money for them). I also have a pair of 101 weather-resistant speakers that I've owned for 20+ years that still do a great job under my eaves (I also paid too much for them).

Why did I buy these overpriced Bose products? Because I didn't have access to forums like these to help me make better choices. About the only Bose products I would consider these days is some of their professional gear, but that is also overpriced (though sometimes worth it because no one else makes something comparable).

If you buy Bose, there's a pretty good chance you'll be satisfied with it. But you can almost certainly find something that sounds as good or better for the same or less money.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I own them and they are great little speakers. I know alot of people will tell you that you can buy other brand speakers with the same quality for cheaper BUT for the size these have great quality/loudness.

Usually Bose is not something I'd look into as I think they are overrated for the price but as computer monitors these are perfect.

I really do recommend them, I love the size, quality/loudness (plenty) and especially the look. But do yourself a favor and buy from ebay you can get them MUCH cheaper.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Demo them in a quiet store. I really think you'll be disappointed.

16. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

hmmm I see. Thanks for input. Also thanks fir recommending some speAkers.

Anyone else have any recomendatios that would be better that bose companion series 3 around the $250 range.
    Oh by the way I gonna conect them to my mbp. Mainly to play music an edit in fcp.

17. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi